will a SD benifit me??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will a SD benifit me??

Hey everyone this is my first time on the forums and I was hoping you guys could help me out.

I have a Ibanez RG370 and was thinking about changing the bridge pickup to a SD. The thing I am unsure about is if it will fit and will I notice a difference in quality with the amp I am using?

I am using a Fender FM65 (65 watt) and also use my mates Ibanez 100w stack (sorry not sure what model). Will I notice a big difference in tone and quality or do I need a Marshall stack or something fancy to make it all worthwhile??

Also I am trying to decide which PU would better suit me. Im deciding between the Duncan Distortion and the JB. I am in a emo/metal/hardrock band and like a warm/smooth and heavy tone.

Any help guys would be awesome cheers!

Re: will a SD benifit me??

No doubt that putting new pups like SD's in your Ibanez would make a world of difference!! You ll not believe how much value it will add to your instrument, it ll make it a quality instrument, you won't need a new amp to hear the difference at all! It ll add some serious tone! Especially if there are some stock Ibanez Powersound pups in your guitar at the moment.
    Both humbucker you ve named are good ones, but for the styles and tone you ve described i would go with the TB-6 Distortion.
    Good luck customising your guitar with after market pups, you won't regret it!!
    "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

Do you mean the TB-6 as in the Duncan Distortion for the bridge?

Also forgot to mention i dont want to loose clarity in the clean tone as the JB seemed to perform better when listening to the samples on the website and seemed more brighter?? Its soooo hard to choose!!!!

Comment

Yes i ment the Duncan Distortion for bridge.
        As you said the JB is brighter than the Distortion indeed, and i recon it may be a hard choice, i don't want to give you a headake or something by putting more options on, but when you want clarity AND you play metal and hard rock, the SH-13 Dimebucker may be just an excellent choice! Use it myself in an Ibanez RG620QM, and i simply adore it! I know there are no sound samples of the SH-13 on the site (shame), but it is more than worth checking out!!
        "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

I know Im asking all these questions but I am thinking the JB but I dont want to loose out on the heavyness which I know the DD has. So if I went for the JB would it lack on the heavyness factor?? Cos Ive read they have been used for jazz styles and all sorts. I am also using a Boss Metal Zone pedal which would prob help maybe?

Comment

Just went to the music store today and purchased a JB or thats what it said on the box. Got home and on the bottom of the PU it says SH-6 which is a DD I believe. The dude said they were out of DD which is what I initially asked for but looks like I got lucky. Thanks a lot for the help.

Just have to work out how to put it in now, I assume the wiring is set up the same as the powersound that is already in there?? If its any differernt could someone please let me know and help out if possible!!!

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by innersight
              Just went to the music store today and purchased a JB or thats what it said on the box. Got home and on the bottom of the PU it says SH-6 which is a DD I believe. The dude said they were out of DD which is what I initially asked for but looks like I got lucky. Thanks a lot for the help.

Just have to work out how to put it in now, I assume the wiring is set up the same as the powersound that is already in there?? If its any differernt could someone please let me know and help out if possible!!!

Cheers
              I don't know where you are going to place the pup innerlight, but if you ll place it at the bridge position(i guess you will), you actually need a TB-6 not the SH-6, you ll need the TB(Trembucker spacing) at the bridge of your RG, since it has a FR-style bridge...
              If you are planning to mount the SH-6 in the bridge position and change it for a TB-6.

Comment

Originally posted by innersight

Cheers
                Does the pup look used? If so I would take it back. JEM is right for a trem guitar you will get the BEST performance from a trem-spaced pup. Not to say you won't tell a huge difference though from stock to a distortion. If you do take it back and get a JB or Distortion elsewhere you should give Lew at Lew Guitar or John at Blackrose Custom a call they'll set you up and treat you right.

The JB does have a very very clean sound but you might find it too thin in your guitar without a 250k ohm pot. Don't be fooled though the distortion has very useable cleans as well.

Luke
                “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

I dont believe it they have done it to me again!!!

I rang them and asked for the JB for the bridge and I said the DD they gave me was to small so what do they do, they give me the SH-4 (the exact same size) instead of the TB-4 which obviously as you say would fit better.

At the moment the B and E strings don't go over the pickups properly and the low E and A aren't in the middle either which must mean its to small.

Looks like its another trip to the music store on monday!!!
                  At least you guys know what your talking about I really appreciate all your help!!!

P.S As you can tell I dont know much about pickups but you would think you could rely on ur local music guy to sell you the right thing the first time round.
                  Last edited by innersight; 02-05-2005, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Your dealers sound like a bunch of jackasses. Return it on Monday, get your cash, go to a real dealer like Luke said.

I'm truly sorry about your experiences with SD so far!! Welcome to the Forums!

Comment

glad to know another Ibanez + Duncan fan...

the JB has incredible midrange, if that's what you are after, then get one already the DD on the other hand has a more restrained midrange spectrum, i prefer the Custom's overall balanced tone for a bridge unit but the DD remains as one of my fav in the neck...
                      Psychic Horns

Comment

Working...
                      X