Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• qp/vintage/custom set?

hey guys,

this may sound unusual but has anyone tried a quarter pound in the bridge with a vintage and custom in the middle and neck of a strat?

reckoned it may work following the principle of high/vintage/medium output of the everything axe and versa-rails set but are true single coils instead.

thoughts?

best,
    dani
    the mind is willing, but the flesh is weak...

Re: qp/vintage/custom set?

Unfortunately they all have different tones that may not be complimentary. The QP's have their own sound and they work best as a matched set. A SSL5 bridge with SSL1 neck works ok though.
    Last edited by idsnowdog; 12-02-2014, 10:25 AM.

Comment

I think he's looking at a Custom in the Neck.... That might be a bit hot and dark for a Strat Neck. The "classic" combos are SSL-5/SSL-1/SSL-1 or matched set of Quarter Pounds.

That being said, is there a specific reason why you are looking at that combo? I can totally see why you'd want three distinct pickups in each position, and if you specifically want QP bridge, vintage mid and hot/dark neck it could definitely work.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

thanks for the responses.

i was going in the vein of a hotter bridge for rock/metal rhythm work, vintage middle for quack in pos 2 and 4 plus a darker neck for smooth leads.

thought that was the idea behind the hr/vr/cr and jb jr/duckbucker/lil59 albeit the qp/vintage/custom being true single coil.
        the mind is willing, but the flesh is weak...

Comment

The SSL5 has enough beef to work in the bridge position with a SSL1 middle and neck. The SSL5 has a compressed quality that can handle high volume and high distortion levels while still sounding good clean. The QP's sound better with high volume and their attack can sound a bit harsh with high gain.

Comment

The QP isn't mixing well with others. I don't like it generally.

The hot for Strat (same wind, but normal magnets) is a better bet, and I wouldn't give up on simple vintage class in neck and middle.

If more is required in the neck then I'd rather do something split-able.

Comment

Working...
            X