banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pickup recommendations for Jackson SL2H...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup recommendations for Jackson SL2H...

Getting a Jackson SL2H delivered tomorrow. Thinking about pulling the JB and replacing it with something else. Considering a PATB2. Any other recommendations? Going to be playing hard rock and classic metal. We tune down a whole step to D standard as well. Thanks!

Re: Pickup recommendations for Jackson SL2H...

What is wrong with the JB for hard rock and classic metal? Thats where it shines, especially in a soloist type guitar. Even more so seems premature to decide to swap a pup in a guitar before you have even heard the guitar.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

For one, we tune down a whole step. The JB doesn't have a tight enough bass response in that tuning (for me). Plus, I prefer something a little warmer.

Comment

My Sl2H is not a particularly bright guitar, especially with the big brass sustain block I installed in it. It's a picky beast of a guitar regarding pickups to be sure - difficult to find a pickup combination bright enough to retain clarity, but smooth enough not to sound shrill with high notes. I run a set of Black Winters in there with 1000k pots to offset the dark character of the tone and it's quite a metal monster now, ideal for drop tunings and crushing riffs with excellent note separation - but of course the top end can get quite piercing unless I roll off the tone a bit. I do think it's better to have a little too much top end to begin with, rather than a nice fat solo tone with a so-so rhythm tone.

Comment

Working...
        X