antiquity middle and ssl5 not getting along

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• antiquity middle and ssl5 not getting along

Hey all! I am new here and glad to be a part of the discussion.

I just picked up a strat used and it has a pair of antiquities in the neck and middle and a ssl5 in the bridge. There was a 3 way switch in there that i just replaced with a 5 way. I wired it the same as i have always wired strats but i am getting a weak middle position sound and a stratnge bridge+middle sound. The only thing i do differently when i wire my strats is i use only one tone control for the neck and the other is there to fill the hole in the 'guard.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
    You can't add cleans...

Re: antiquity middle and ssl5 not getting along

Do you have any photos and perhaps a drawing of the wiring schematic you've used?
    Warmoth Group @ Flickr : SDUGF group @ SoundCloud : Basic Guitar Setup

Blog @ Izdihar.com : Pics @ Flickr

I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned

Comment

I used the guitarelectronics.com diagram for s/ s/s with 5 way and 2 to es but just not wite up the second tone control
      You can't add cleans...

Comment

Strat style guitar wiring diagram with three single coils, 5-way lever switch, 1 volume, 2 tones. Typical standard Fender Stratocaster guitar wiring with master volume plus 1 neck tone control and one middle pickup tone control. Please Note: This guitar wiring diagram is property of GuitarElectronics.com Inc. The contents of this diagram in whole or part are copyrighted and published for personal use only. Unauthorized use or republication is a prohibited. Click diagram image to open/view full size version.   Ready to get started? Don't forget the Wire, Solder, Shielding & Supplies. Copyright© GuitarElectronics.com LLC. Unauthorized replication is prohibited.

ere is a link
        You can't add cleans...

Comment

Which Antiquity? The Surfer is new Fender polarity, the SSLs are old Fender polarity. If you wire them up straight you will get out of phase sound in the notch positions.

Comment

Not sure how to tell...there is a number...and a signature and a set of initials on the bottom...grey fiber like my abbey's. That is all i know for certain.
            You can't add cleans...

Comment

Swap the Black and White wires on the Antiquity and see if it is resolved.
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by TeleMarked View Post
                Not sure how to tell...there is a number...and a signature and a set of initials on the bottom...grey fiber like my abbey's. That is all i know for certain.
                Grey bottom is Antiquity 2, aka Surfers. So you need to reverse the wires when combining with a SSL (except of course if you have rwrp but let's deal with that later).

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                  Grey bottom is Antiquity 2, aka Surfers. So you need to reverse the wires when combining with a SSL (except of course if you have rwrp but let's deal with that later).
                  Thanks!! I will get on it and let you know how it worked
                  You can't add cleans...

Comment

That won't resolve a weak middle pickup just by itself, so you might need to check heights, solder connections for the middle, and perhaps take a K reading of that middle pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                      That won't resolve a weak middle pickup just by itself, so you might need to check heights, solder connections for the middle, and perhaps take a K reading of that middle pickup.
                      I missed that. Was the middle position weak with a 3-way?
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                        I missed that. Was the middle position weak with a 3-way?
                        It was fine with the 3 way
                        You can't add cleans...

Comment

Working...
                        X