banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why no modular connections on Duncan passive pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why no modular connections on Duncan passive pickups?

I assume this is because EMG patented their connection system on their active and HZ passives, but it seems like such a basic thing to patent that it wouldn't be enforceable. Duncan could reconfigure the pins and shapes a bit and have something similar in function but different in design.

Then again, there isn't much room on a passive pickup base plate due to the screws protruding through. But again, people far smarter than I am could probably work around this.

I haven't tried a Liberator, but it seems like it doesn't have push/pull functionality, which is a disadvantage. With the EMG quick connects, you can still wire to the pot as you wish.

Re: Why no modular connections on Duncan passive pickups?

Blackouts use quick connects also. Where did you hear it was patented? I'm pretty sure you can buy that type of connector from mouser.

My biggest gripe is that on many guitars the channels in the body arent big enough to pass the connectors on EMG's. Drilling out channels really sucks. Many of SD's passive line are marketed towards the vintage crowd you wont get any love from them sticking a connector on the end of a pickup.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

True. I didn't think about the Blackouts, but I thought perhaps something about an active design (or passive in the case of the EMG HZs) not relying on screws might have something to do with it as far as freeing up real estate on the base plate for the connections. I was speculating as to why they weren't more common.

I've run into the depth problem with the EMG 81tw, but it is a higher pickup to begin with because of its stacked design.

For those of us who like to swap out our pickups often, especially on Floyd Rose guitars, quick connectors on passive pickups would be welcome.

Comment

Why not just make your own... you could use crimp type push connectors... make a set of pig tails from your electronics in the cavity... then when you get a new pickup just crimp on a couple connectors and away you go.

Something like this is what im talking about

They only cost a few cents each and if you need they can easily be stripped off.
        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Cool. Thanks man. I appreciate it.

To make sure I'm visualizing this right, I'd feed the 4 conductor wires from the pup into the crimp on the back of the connectors. Then I'd need another length of 4 conductor wire into the other crimp, which would attach to the pot.

Connect the connectors and I'm in business?

Comment

Originally posted by Inflames626 View Post
            Cool. Thanks man. I appreciate it.

To make sure I'm visualizing this right, I'd feed the 4 conductor wires from the pup into the crimp on the back of the connectors. Then I'd need another length of 4 conductor wire into the other crimp, which would attach to the pot.

Connect the connectors and I'm in business?
            Yeah... You need a set of pig tails that you solder into place first. These are just short pieces of wire basically just like what you got already just only 2 or 3 inches long coming off your switch terminals and your ground points,then crimp the female ends onto those. Then just run the wires into the control cavity like normal and crimp the male bullet end of the connectors onto those. Then just plug it up and you're in business.

This system isnt as elegant as the molex type connectors that EMG uses but its simple and you can find the parts at any auto parts store or radio shack.

Comment

Here if you want something more elegant look into these types of connectors. http://www.molex.com/molex/products/...e=Introduction

http://www.radioshack.com/radioshack...l#.VKdGdXvXvOU

http://www.wsdeans.com/products/plugs/micro_plug.html

Still pretty cheap and easy to do
              Last edited by Edgecrusher; 01-02-2015, 07:34 PM.

Comment

I'm very glad most pickups don't come with quick connects.....what a horrible idea.
                Its bad enough just getting the wire itself through the body drillings in most cases. Add a bulky connector and you lose all chance.

Comment

I haven't tried a Liberator, but it seems like it doesn't have push/pull functionality, which is a disadvantage. With the EMG quick connects, you can still wire to the pot as you wish.
                  How many push/pulls do you want on the guitar? All of my guitars with Liberators have push/pulls, on the tone pot and the Liberator as the volume. You could reverse that too. If you wanted both pots to be p/p then yes you'd have to perform some surgery.

Comment

Everyone that uses solderless connections has their own semi-proprietary connectors and honestly the only advantage they have is for fast changes WITHIN that manufacturers product range. Otherwise in marketing terms it's just a switching barrier to discourage people from changing brands.

Comment

SD has considered modular connectors over the years to make installation easier. EMG does not have a patent on an off-the-shelf connector. One of the problems with modular connectors is that there is no uniformity between pickup makers and their start and finish wires. So SD could make modular connectors that fit passive SD pickups, but they might not work with other manufacturer's pickups. Also, even with modular connectors, you likely still have to some soldering. The Liberator was SD's effort at making passive pickups easier to swap.
                      Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
                      Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Thanks Evan.

It doesn't really bother me if EMG has their connector for their wires and Duncan could make theirs for their wires and DiMarzio could make theirs for their wires.

Most of the time, when I'm switching around pickups, it's within one manufacturer's product range. I'm especially not going to be going from passive to active on a single guitar very often because of having to replace the jack.

It's more like, "This is my SD guitar, this is my EMG guitar, and this is my DiMarzio guitar."

Thank you, Mr. Falbo. I wasn't aware that Liberators had PP pots. At least, I couldn't tell from the stuff on the site and in the videos.

I normally wire each pickup independently to its own PP master volume (Jazz bass style) and then wire those to split.

Comment

Thank you, Mr. Falbo. I wasn't aware that Liberators had PP pots. At least, I couldn't tell from the stuff on the site and in the videos.
                          You misread what he said... Liberators dont have push pulls. He uses a liberator as the volume and a push pull as his tone

Comment

I improvise my own with terminal strips and keep it in the control cavity so I don't cut the pickup leads and I have more room to work. The mini-terminal strips similar to those seen on a Liberator can also be bought separately if doing 4-conductor stuff.

Comment

Working...
                            X