X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pasive Pickups on an active guitar

"Passive" sorry that title.

Hi everyone,

First post ever! I basically want to start by saying that I know very little or nothing about wiring or technical stuff and that is why I always take the guitars to a professional, so please understand that if you talk too technically, I will probably not understand.

I recently bought a pair of humbuckers for a BC Rich PX3. I went once more for Seymour Duncan because I had two great experiences a in the past with other guitars; I put a 59 and a Custom 5 on a Gibson Melody Maker and a pair of Hot Rails plus a JB for a Godin Velocity. For the BC Rich, I got an Alternative 8 in the bridge and a JB in the neck. Of course those were recommendations from the GC sales person based on what I told him I was looking for which is: 1) great sustain, 2) something that would give me great pinch harmonics, 3) and clarity when distorted. In summary, a metal sound.

The first issue the technician found is that the guitar was originally active (which I did not know), therefore, he told me it would be harder to put passives but it was doable. When he finally gave me the guitar, I went back home super excited, tested it and found the tone was extremely low (especially the JB in the neck); at first I thought it was just the way it is, but saw the same day an article on the FB page about the lack of treble in some pickups and how a capacitor can fix it. So I took it back to GC and the guy fixed it. My problem is that, although it improved considerably, I truly didn't get what I was looking for. Sustain is not that great, the JB still sounds very low, and honestly I found the 59 on my Melody Maker clearer and easier to get pinch harmonics. Do you think it's the guitar? (alder body, ebony fretboard, 24 jumbo, Floyd Rose original) and the fact that it was originally an active guitar? or was it that I bought the wrong pickups for what I wanted?

Please help! I would even consider buying a new guitar if necessary, which was the case before. I originally bought the 59 and the Custom 5 for a Washburn and I never liked them until I put them on the Melody Maker and now it is my favorite guitar.
    Last edited by figuinrox; 01-06-2015, 10:49 PM.

Re: Pasive Pickups on an active guitar

i would blame your tech and his wiring, harder to put passives in a guitar wich was active, the guitar has master volume, master tone and a 3 way switch right? just 2 500k pots a good switch and some wires along some soldering, i'm seeing some of the bc rich px3 had a push/pull on the tone knob to split the buckers, so try pulling the knobs, anyway, i had found the best way to go and be shure that your guitar works as you wish is wiring it yourself.

and the jb, how does it sounds low?, lacking highs?, lacking output?

Comment

The tone is "low"? Do you mean volume? It shouldn't have been a problem for your tech to put passive electronics in your guitar.

And for the love of god take your instruments to local techs instead of GC, where virtually no one knows what they're doing.
      Within the glow that weaves a cloak of delight ... There moves a thread that has no end
      Yours is the cloth, mine is the hand that sews time ... For me, the cloth once more to spin
      At last the arm is straight, the hand to the loom ... Is this to end or just begin?

sigpic My guitars + better pics

Comment

The pots in the typical active setup will make poor options for passive pickups. If they simply wired the new pickups in without changing the pots out then I'd be taking the guitar somewhere else - they obviously don't know what they are doing.

Comment

If your "tech" told you that it was hard to put passives into an "active" guitar in order to charge you more money for the job, take it back right now and get your money back. It is much easier to convert an active guitar to passive than the other way around. Very simple.

Make sure the tech put in the correct vol and tone pots. As was said, if he left in the existing pots (probably 25k) your guitar is going to sound like poo. Those pickups will function best with pots in the range of 330k - 500k ohms (according to personal taste...the 500k will sound brighter).

The Alt 8 is a great bridge pup, but I'm not on board with the JB in the neck. You would be much better off with a Screamin Demon or a Pearly Gates. Certainly the '59 is a very clear sounding pup, but many people don't like the boominess in the neck position. Either the SD or the PG will give you everything the 59 will, and then some, and without the boomy bottom end.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
          X