Quarter Pounder for Tele

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quarter Pounder for Tele

Can I get some feedback from Quarterpound pup users?

Right now I have Anico II Pros in my tele, and they sound pretty good to me. But I am currios to try out the quarter pound pups. The sound files on the Duncan site really sound good to me. In fact I like them better than the sounds of the anico IIs.

Let me tell you abought my current setup. I run my tele into a rat and my amp is a Traynor bassmaster. Our band has a ZZ Top Blues Rock type of sound. To get a good fat tone for the crunchy stuff I play on the lead pup and roll the tone almost half way down. For the middle or neck posision I turn the tone to around 8, just down a tad. Also I use my volume knob to control the amount of gain.

I like the tone I'm getting now, but can't help thinking that a touch more midrang ( and output) would bring me out in the mix a little better.

Any thoughts?

MCG
    Last edited by MCG; 02-07-2005, 03:43 PM.

Re: Quarter Pounder for Tele

I think you're right on with you're thinking. It is my favorite Tele pickup, I actually use the QP Tapped so I can flip to a more vintage type tone for some stuff but if you are going for an amped up blues rock tone that pup is killer! I have a QP neck as well but while I like it I don't use it all that much.

I also have the BG1400 which is the Custom Shop Billy Gibbons Tele pup 14k/28k that is a monster. It can be a bit much all the time but certainly if you are a Rev. fan you'd beinterested in it. I'll have toget some clips up soon of it. I am actually switching the pup in the 2 guitars. The BG1400 is going to go inthe alder bodied Tele and just be an Esquire and the QP is going to go in a different Tele matched up with a Phat cat neck.
    My Bands -
    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
    GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

You might also consider the STL-2 Hot Tele lead for more low and mid push and punch. I have it matched with an alnico 2 Fender Atomic 2 neck HB, and they sound great together. The STL-2 cleans up very well when you roll back the vol knob, but overdrives very smoothly.

Comment

I'm intrigued by the BG1400. Is the BG1400 usable for country music (or is it too hot-->overdriving my Deluxe)? Does it sound at all like a real Tele pickup?

Farkus
        2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
        1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

The Quarter Pounder gives a really fat tone - I had one years ago and loved it; just ordered one for my present Tele. Definitely get the tapped version - the full coil can get a bit muddy, and it's nice to have the tap for some Tele clarity. I set up the tone pot as a fader between the tap and the full coil, instead of a switch. This allows you to dial in just the right combination of fat and twang.
          Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
          Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

I had one in (QP) a Tele years ago as well, running through a s.f. deluxe with a mxr micro amp and boy did it sound GREAT! I think i'll get one in a Tele again someday maybe with a bottom plate and tapped..........

Comment

I love mine! I have QP's in both slots of my ash body tele. It's got spank and lots of low end. The high mids are lacking so you kinda have to make up for it in your EQ. I don't find the pup to be muddy at all with a proper EQing either. Mine are the non-tapped versions. I can understand the desire for mor versatility. The pup is alright I'd stick with the A2P for tele if I were you though, unless you play alot of leads on the neck, and it can be muddy.

Luke
              “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Thanks for the feedback folks.

Our drummer records all our practices these days and I haven't yet had the chance to listen to a recording of my tele with the band. That will make or break the anicos for me. But as I try to fatten them up with the tone knob I am interrested in trying out a fuller sounding pup like the quarter pound.

We'll see (or hear) and I'll let you all know how it turns out after I sit down and give them a good listen.

MCG

Comment

Best pickup made for Teles in my opinion. Stout and twangy, just like a Tele should be.
                  www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Has anybody taken the cover off of a QP neck pickup? If so,how does it sound?
                    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Working...
                    X