Duncan Distortion W/ Alnico 5 Magnet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan Distortion W/ Alnico 5 Magnet?

Would This Be A Jb? Has Anyone Tried This?
    My bands links:

PEDL
    www.myspace.com/pedlmusic

TREBLE BLEED
    www.myspace.com/treblebleed

KLINK
    www.myspace.com/klinkdetroit

Re: Duncan Distortion W/ Alnico 5 Magnet?

yes, the only difference is the magnets, dd=ceramic......jb=alnico 5

Comment

I thought when I put the big ceramic in a JB, I was onto something (the JB from Hell...). Turns out it was just a Distortion
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I used to ask this question a lot when I first stumbled onto this website. How do you really know.

One thing for sure, I start with the neck pup and I try to set the fat E side height first. This is just my way of doing it. I take Jolly's method and stack three 1mm guitar picks and set that as the initial gap while holding down the fat E on the last fret. From there I check my tuner. If the magnetic pull on the string is causing my note to go in and out of tune, I try to lower it a tad until that effect is minimalized. I'm not sure you can completely avoid it altogether on a 42 string. But, it's just a general guide. If I'm having a lot of trouble tuning the fat E, this is usually the culprit.

I then set the skinny E side to match the output of the other side. It's usually within a mm or two of the other measurement.

Then I hit the bridge pup and try the same procedure. The bridge pup pulls on the string a bit less. It's definitely the pup you want to use when setting intonation. more stable. Often, I just match the output level of the bridge pup to the out put level of the neck pup and I'm done. I dont use the bridge pup that often, so this is a much lazier way for me to get it done quickly.

I might be dead wrong on this and YMMV.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Originally posted by KLINKDETROIT
          Would This Be A Jb? Has Anyone Tried This?
          yes it becomes the JB
          I have a DD i ordered new and a JB that i had put in a large ceramic into and needless to say BOTH sound IDENTICAL to each other.
          this is no crime by duncan or is not misleading at all, since the magnet changes the tone quite drastically calling the same wind pup a different name with a different mag is just the right thing to do.
          since a DD with a alnico 5 no longer sounds like a DD and the JB with a large ceramic no longer sounds like a JB it is only proper than duncan calls them by the two individual names and no wrong has been commited by the company

Comment

Hmm... that explains alot.. what would be directly in between those two? I had a DD a while back in my ibanez, was ok for palm muting and rythym, but didnt care for some of the tones. I have a JB now, and it rips for soloing, pretty good for rythym but low end is a little loose, and the high mid boost is starting to bother me, as well as the cleans. Im thinking about trying something new, but what?
            Guitars: Jackson Black Flametop SLSMG FullShred(A8)/FullShred w/Tonepros bridge
            Fernandes Revolver Pro 7-String, BKP Painkiller(A8)
            Amp: Laney VH100R and Splawn 2x12 cab
            Effects: John Spina modded SD-1, Morley Bad Horsie Wah, MXR 10-band EQ (OLD version)
            Recording/Practice: Line 6 Guitar Port

Comment

Originally posted by suislidE03
              Hmm... that explains alot.. what would be directly in between those two? I had a DD a while back in my ibanez, was ok for palm muting and rythym, but didnt care for some of the tones. I have a JB now, and it rips for soloing, pretty good for rythym but low end is a little loose, and the high mid boost is starting to bother me, as well as the cleans. Im thinking about trying something new, but what?

Try the Custom.
              Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

So if the Distortion is a JB with a ceramic magnet and a JB with an Alnico 5 magnet, what is it with an Alnico 2 magnet? Custom Custom?
                "It's Saturday night. I have no date. A two liter bottle of Shasta and my all Rush mix tape. Let's rock...." Phillip J. Fry

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBatman
                  So if the Distortion is a JB with a ceramic magnet and a JB with an Alnico 5 magnet, what is it with an Alnico 2 magnet? Custom Custom?

Nope. The Custom with an Alnico II mag is a Custom Custom. The Custom with an Alnico V mag is a Custom 5.
                  Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

the DD with an Al 2 magnet would honk like a goose !!!!

Comment

What about a TB-6 distortion with a customs ceramic magnet? I heard it sounds different than the Distortions bigger magnet.
                      My bands links:

PEDL
                      www.myspace.com/pedlmusic

TREBLE BLEED
                      www.myspace.com/treblebleed

KLINK
                      www.myspace.com/klinkdetroit

Comment

Originally posted by KLINKDETROIT
                        What about a TB-6 distortion with a customs ceramic magnet? I heard it sounds different than the Distortions bigger magnet.
                        yeah it is the DD lite

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBatman
                          AH-1 alan holdsworth pup minus two extra row a adjustable screws

Comment

Originally posted by fab.regnaut
                            the DD with an Al 2 magnet would honk like a goose !!!!

HONK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X