Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gaps in the product line?

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
    I agree with you on the "more medium output neck options" but just wanted to say that the Screamin' Demon is an awesome neck pickup
    I know, man. I ended up with a Demon in my PRS after a long and arduous search for a humbucker that captured everything I needed in the neck slot of a 24 fret guitar. Enough output to saturate fluidly without setting the thing against the strings, not hot enough so that it's mud. It's a really great pickup and I think more pickups in that range would be very marketable for SD.

Comment

Originally posted by andrew96 View Post
      i want to upgrade my first guitar and i will but what i want is a set like humbucker that would fit in single coil routing for bridge then two single coils as far as i know they don't do that
      There's the Hot/Cool/Vintage Rails, JB Jr., Lil Screamin Demon, and Lil 59. Those are all single coil sized humbuckers.

Comment

a p90 that cooks you breakfast goes to job interviews for you or your job, fly's cleans your house and reproduces with itself to have baby p90s to put in your ukulele oo and a video game where you are a guitar playing super hero that beats villians by hitting them across the head with a les paul and throwing super sharp picks at them and tying them up with wires from a humbucker and he wears leather pants a leather vest and a guitar string bracelet

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
          Yep they do... http://www.seymourduncan.com/product...t/jb_jr_sjbj1/

Use that for your bridge then buy 2 of whatever single coils float your boat. And if your not into the JB they have a few other flavors of single coil sized humbuckers available.
          i know they sold them alone but i meant a set

Comment

also they should make a preamp with effects like treble booster that go inside a guitar

Comment

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
              Just wondering what you guys felt might be some under-represented segments in the Seymour Duncan product line. This is a good question to ask now and again.

There have been a lot of interesting things released in the couple of years on both ends of the spectrum - from the stuff aimed at extreme metal (Nazgul/Sentient, Black Winters) to stuff designed for vintage-inspired tastes (Whole Lotta Humbuckers), to something in between (59/Custom Hybrid)... But I wonder if there's anything missing.

Have you recently wanted to buy an SD but went with something else because, ultimately, we don't offer what you needed for a particular project?
              A Strat single coil with heavier magnets but vintage wind (AWG42 QP). Same for Jazz and Precision pickups, I think the current QP versions do more damage to the SD brand in the bass market than they provide revenue.

The Phat Cat needs a refresh. It doesn't meet expectations.

An official neck humbucker for guitars where most neck humbuckers come out too boomy.

The equivalent of a Hot Rail (Strat/Tele) for Jazz bass. That would be very important for PJ setups that need to beef up the bridge pickup (the QP doesn't do it, especially for metal).

Those SSB-4 or whatever the plastic thunderbird pickups are called don't cut it. A mass-produced vintage style (firebird style) pickup with metal cover and regular floor shop price would be good. For guitar that exists. The Thunderbird is common with a cheap Gibson model, the Epiphone model and numerous other basses use similar-ish soapbars.

Comment

This is my wish list:

- Noiseless quarter pounds
                - A middle single coil that can sound more like a bridge pickup. That ways I would switch from neck single coil sound to bridge single coil sound in clean an overdrive, then to real bridge humbucker when playing distortion.
                - Not sure if you already have an answer but : How to install tripleshot on strat pickguards?
                Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                  A Strat single coil with heavier magnets but vintage wind (AWG42 QP). Same for Jazz and Precision pickups, I think the current QP versions do more damage to the SD brand in the bass market than they provide revenue.

An official neck humbucker for guitars where most neck humbuckers come out too boomy.

The equivalent of a Hot Rail (Strat/Tele) for Jazz bass. That would be very important for PJ setups that need to beef up the bridge pickup (the QP doesn't do it, especially for metal).

Those SSB-4 or whatever the plastic thunderbird pickups are called don't cut it. A mass-produced vintage style (firebird style) pickup with metal cover and regular floor shop price would be good. For guitar that exists. The Thunderbird is common with a cheap Gibson model, the Epiphone model and numerous other basses use similar-ish soapbars.
                  Good observations. Especially with the 1/4 pounders and a lighter neck humbucker.

Comment

Risking taking heat for maybe sound like a dick for some, I love when people just throw specs left and right with no idea of what they might actually do (or not) to the tone.

Every single product of the Duncan line produces an outcome which is the result of actual studies of feasibility, production workflow, materials choice and availability, not to mention making sure that the great p'up of today will be exactly the same great p'up tomorrow.

I'm all for "breaking the rules", as like in music, breaking the rules of classical music got us Jazz and Blues, nevertheless it'll be nice first at least have a rough idea about'em, before putting together "specs" like choosing what to eat from a 200-course Chinese take-away.
                    Last edited by LtKojak; 04-23-2015, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by andrew96 View Post
                      i know they sold them alone but i meant a set
                      The "Everything Axe" set comes with a JB Jr in the bridge, a Duckbucker in the middle, and a Lil '59 in the neck. They sell a set with a Hot Rails in the bridge, a Vintage Rails in the middle, and a Cool Rails in the neck. There's also a set with Hot Rails, for all positions and Cool Rails for all positions, if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post

+1. Not 'meeting expectations' when most players get one expecting the classic Gibson A5 type P-90 tone which other HB-sized P-90's try to emulate. LP's SG's, 335's, and hollowbodies are probably where most end up, and to me, not where they perform best. Not sure what the goal was, but there's a lot of untapped potential with Phat Cats with winding and magnet combinations. I hate to see them on the backburner when Duncan should have some of the best sounding HB-sized P90's on the market.
                        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                          +1. Not 'meeting expectations' when most players get one expecting the classic Gibson A5 type P-90 tone which other HB-sized P-90's try to emulate. LP's SG's, 335's, and hollowbodies are probably where most end up, and to me, not where they perform best. Not sure what the goal was, but there's a lot of untapped potential with Phat Cats with winding and magnet combinations. I hate to see them on the backburner when Duncan should have some of the best sounding HB-sized P90's on the market.
                          I think SD has ceded the field to lower price rivals because of the luke warm reception of the Phat Cats. They could go all in and extend the product line to include humbucker sized vintage, hot and custom models. However they would more than likely need to redesign and relaunch the line instead of using the same construction methods as the existing Phat Cat. I guess I would like to see vintage, hot and custom models built in the same fashion as the GFS Mean 90's and just retire the Phat Cat name.
                          Last edited by idsnowdog; 04-23-2015, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
                            I think SD has ceded the field to lower price rivals because of the luke warm reception of the Phat Cats. They could go all in and extend the product line to include humbucker sized vintage, hot and custom models. However they would more than likely need to redesign and relaunch the line instead of using the same construction methods as the existing Phat Cat. I guess I would like to see vintage, hot and custom models built in the same fashion as the GFS Mean 90's and just retire the Phat Cat name.
                            To be honest, the whole P90 line in Duncan's repository isn't that great. The Antiquity soapbar is for some reason much brighter and lifts a lot of bass compared to e.g. the Gibson soapbar. The reason is unclear to me. Antiquity soapbar in the neck of a fixed bridge guitar is heaven, though.

Comment

The P90s are a huge weak point in the Duncan standard line up. Not even a hot stack version. If you want a noiseless p90 from Duncan without the custom shop, there is one model for you.

I don't believe there is a ssl-5 tele equivalent yet right?

There could also be a another rails pickup between the "hot and cool" rails. Maybe call it the "Custom rails" and make it with the goal in mind of making a mini SH-5 Custom. A mini Full Shred or Mini 59/custom hybrid would be cool too as that level of output split with a typical middle single coil would preserve a lot of quack and stand on it's own well when split.

The full sized humbucker rails would also be a cool thing to capitalize on. Maybe experimenting with other magnets and winds?

There isn't anyone else making a Jazzmaster pickup in a typical humbucker route either. I think I saw ONE set made custom by the Creamery.

A refresh on the Phat Cat would be nice too. Maybe make an A5 version and call it the "Cool Cat" and a ceramic one called the "Hot Cat" or "Fast Cat" something.

Hybrids are also a huge thing to invest time in. If results like the 59/Custom hybrid can come about from just matching existing pickups' coils, imagine what can happen when you build the 2 unique coils from the ground up to complement each other?

I also wouldn't mind seeing 2 minihums squeezed in a full size humbucker set up, so you can have it all on for a ton of power, or split to one minihum to clean it up but still keep it noise free. Maybe humbuckers that you can split but keep dead quiet in general would be a cool thing to work on.

Single coil size humbuckers for the telecaster bridge is also a little lacking.

I understand that product demands dictate the pickup replacement market pretty staunchly towards humbuckers, but the humbucker section in Duncan's arsenal is pretty well bolstered after they started filling the "mid output" gap with stuff like the WLH, 59/C, Pegasus, Sentient, Nazgul, Perpetual Burn, etc. So I'm trying to think outside the "bucker box" so to say.
                              Last edited by Falloffthebonetone; 04-23-2015, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Okay, how about this... P-rails in a P90 soapbar housing with integrated triple shot switches

Comment

Working...
                                X