X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Pickup Break-in" Any truth here??

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
    This.

Although I think it is possible to mildly degauss your magnets through playing- here's my suggestion for menga on how he could prove it conclusively to us all:
    1) First of all, a regular gaussmeter won't be precise enough, so you'd do best to take the before-and-after readings using a hospital MRI machine.
    2) String your guitar with extra heavy strings made of pure magnetite (and for Heaven's sake don't forget to make sure all your control knobs are old growth hardwood).
    3) Choose a place where the ley lines cross and naturally amplify orgone energy and cosmic rays, like the center of Stonehenge or that spot twenty feet above the top of the Great Pyramid.
    4) Carefully align your instrument perpendicular to magnetic North and be sure to hold it perfectly motionless within the Earth's field while you play.
    5) Play heavy power chords 24 hours a day for six hundred and sixty six days, six hours, six minutes and seventeen seconds.
    6) Be sure to report your test results here on the forum after you have measured them.
    I tried all this stuff and I still can't hear a difference. Probably because I'm deaf as a post...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
      Unfortunately for you we are well aware of the workings of the fender factory and just what goes on inside there. Many of us also make our own instruments from scratch, so are well aware of the time and effort it takes to get things 'just right'.
      Maybe you should confine these sort of posts to Harmony Central, where your bluster might be believed rather than looked on with pitying sadness.
      No, even at HC we knew that was total BS.

Yes, I'm a long time member of what was once HC and is now a graveyard.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk
      Nope...

Comment

^ Really, so its not really going on there anymore?

What happened? Did people move onto other forums or did it get (gulp) trolled to death

Comment

^ Really, so its not really going on there anymore?

What happened? Did people move onto other forums or did it get (gulp) trolled to death
          You don't know?

HC management ran it into the ground by "upgrading" the forum with completely inappropriate forum software packages three times. It was so unworkable that everybody left.

Nope...

Comment

I never joined HC but used to browse it often for gear reviews and technical info. At some point I noticed that search engine hits stopped taking me anywhere useful and then I just gave up on them.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bodeanicus View Post
              They're both the same assembly line guitar made of the same cheapest, easily obtained hardwoods Leo Fender could obtain. There is no magic, no voodoo. It's a utilitarian design made for working musicians. There is no justification for a $3,000 mark up because a luthier hand filed the frets and signed the back of the headstock. But it's sure impressive hanging on the wall of the man cave. Do you guys frame the receipt?
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_165373627701651.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	5785276
              sigpic
              Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
                You don't know?

HC management ran it into the ground by "upgrading" the forum with completely inappropriate forum software packages three times. It was so unworkable that everybody left.

No, I was a bit like hydro, in the fact that I got sent there for searches for a while. After I got onto here, strat talk and MLP I essentially didn't visit HC as the folks in the new forums just seemed more knowledgeable on the whole

Comment

No, I was a bit like hydro, in the fact that I got sent there for searches for a while. After I got onto here, strat talk and MLP I essentially didn't visit HC as the folks in the new forums just seemed more knowledgeable on the whole
                  I'll admit that I never really ventured outside of the Electric Guitar subforum much. HCEG, as an entity by itself, wasn't actually very different from this place. The rest of the forum could be a bit scary.
                  Nope...

Comment

I'll admit that I never really ventured outside of the Electric Guitar subforum much. HCEG, as an entity by itself, wasn't actually very different from this place. The rest of the forum could be a bit scary.
                    Hahahah I used to love the HCAF... I was well entrenched in that place pre moderation days....
                    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Your original judgement was correct. Pure BS.
                      *******Please check out some of my songs:
                      https://www.soundclick.com/bands3/de...bandid=1430296

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeAces View Post
                        We're not talking about a brand new Hemi here. The only "break-in" that happens in gear that I know of are speakers, tubes and wood. Especially on acoustics for the wood but there is a good chance the wood of an electric gets broken in a bit too according to how you play. I certainly have one chambered black korina LP from Warmoth that has gained a warmer bottom end over the years as one example.

Pickups? No. Sure, the magnet changes over many, many, many years very slightly... that's about it. I have an old Alnico II Pro neck humbucker. There could be many reasons why it sounds smoother and slightly different than a brand new one but it is not so far off that you couldn't recognize that it is an A2P.
                        +1 to acoustics, with the small exception of Cedar which doesn't seem to "age" in that the tone is consistent from year 1 thru year whatever.

For pickups, I have heard a ton about it and how they get better with age but I don't have any experience with pickups getting better over time. Here are two articles (1) & (2) by Bill Lawrence on Magnets and Aging that I thought were some good reads.
                        Last edited by treyhaislip; 05-19-2015, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                          Hahahah I used to love the HCAF... I was well entrenched in that place pre moderation days....
                          Oh, there was always moderation... Just some subforums were better moderated than others. We had The Eristic, MaziBee, and Frets99 in HCEG. Now they've all basically disappeared, sadly... Frets was the king of getting nice guitars for almost no money and Mazi always had gorgeous pics of his guitars.

But, yeah, we HCEGers would have called BS on just about all the articles by the guy linked to in the OP. Snake oil didn't sit well with us.
                          Nope...

Comment

If there's a particular number of times I can hit myself in the head with a hammer so that a Mexican Fender sounds and plays identical to me as a Masterbuilt 1-off, I wish somebody would tell me so I don't overshoot it.
                            -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
                              If there's a particular number of times I can hit myself in the head with a hammer so that a Mexican Fender sounds and plays identical to me as a Masterbuilt 1-off, I wish somebody would tell me so I don't overshoot it.

In a row.

Sent from my Moto X 2014 using Tapatalk
                              Nope...

Comment

In a row.
                                Ball peen or claw?
                                -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Working...