Clear All

Re: "Pickup Break-in" Any truth here??

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
    Ball peen or claw?
    Hockey stick.

Nope...

Comment

This didn't come with a note attached that said to wait for a month for your pickup to get ripe before you can use it.. Can you imagine the backlog MJ would have if she just had to sit there and watch a bunch of little pickups incubating for a month before they were ready to ship? Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (13).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	5785300
      A couple days to acclimate.. Sure.. An entire month.. Insane...

Comment

What's that p'up exactly? It reads like a Custom 5. I can't make out what MJ wrote, though. Rick's HB?

So..?

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
          What's that p'up exactly? It reads like a Custom 5. I can't make out what MJ wrote, though. Rick's HB?

So..?
          Rickenbacker?

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk
          Nope...

Comment

It's a Humbucker she made as close to regular humbucker size that retro fits directly into the existing route and screw holes of the Rickenbacker, it also did not require any modification of either top or bottom pickgaurd. It's wound with an Alnico V instead of those composite magnets that Rickenbacker uses for it's own humbuckers.. Basically. it's a custom sized '59/Custom and wound to 13.9K as all the Rick humbuckers are in that range. It makes my Rickenbacker 330 sound well into Gibson territory, along with the Mastery bridge when overdriven.Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (29).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	5785309Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (25).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	5785310
            Last edited by AR999; 05-20-2015, 08:04 AM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

I'm at work now, so I would have to look tonight for the youtube video in which Dave Mustaine states that sweat pours in and "season" pickups over time and change their tone.

I remember being like "Ummmmmmmmmm...." Especially since he uses active electronics
              For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Diamond View Post
                I'm at work now, so I would have to look tonight for the youtube video in which Dave Mustaine states that sweat pours in and "season" pickups over time and change their tone.

I remember being like "Ummmmmmmmmm...." Especially since he uses active electronics
                He used to use uncovered Jazz/JB sets, didn't he? Still bunk, I say, but just clarifying.

Sent from my Moto X 2014 using Tapatalk
                Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Diamond View Post
                  ...Dave Mustaine states that sweat pours in and "season" pickups over time and change their tone.
                  If high school locker rooms are any indicator, then this "seasoning" would stink...

Comment

Originally posted by Archer250 View Post
                    Leo Fender is dead. The company Fender was in the 50s and 80s has changed in various ways. As one of the biggest musical instrument companies in the world, FMIC has the means and the money to access varied-quality woods, to outsource hardware from quality factories, and to buy machines and tools to build guitars of various quality.

There's so much bull**** in your post you could fertilize an entire field.

The truth hurts, sometimes. It helps us grow, and to face reality. Denial is an ugly thing.

Comment

• Re: "Pickup Break-in" Any truth here??

Originally posted by firebirdguy72 View Post
                      I guess that means an 80's vette and a brand new C7 stingray are the same to... both are made on assembly lines, both were made by Chevy in the same plant in Kentucky, both have 4 wheels, both are covettes...

the difference is the attention to detail, the refined techniques, the finish work, the quality of the electronics, the choice selection of woods... and the fact that they are crafted by the finest luthiers fender has to offer...If you don't think a masterbuilt strat is worth the money than feel free to think that way. Many people agree that they are over priced. But to say a MIM and a masterbuilt strat are the same is complete nonsense...

The car analogy is irrelevant. A Master Built and MIM are virtually the same guitar, the same 60 year old design. Is the alder in a MB soaked in unicorn tears? Are the tuners and bridge made by dwarves, forged of mithril? Are the pickups wound of unobtanium by Nikola Tesla's automatons? Is the neck carved from a root of Yggdrasil? No? Then explain to me why a MB Stratocaster so "magical?" It's a bolt on electric guitar, not a hand carved, one of a kind "work of art."

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	picard-facepalm.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	5785317
                        ISO - Fender Highway One Stratocaster - black
                        2004 Chevy Silveraro - 6.6 Liter Duramax Turbo Diesel
                        Pickup Booster - Lava Box - Tweak Fuzz - Vapor Trail

Comment

Educate yourselves. Be warned that a lot of you don't want to hear this, but it's essential to dispelling the denial.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

wow I made it through almost ten minutes of that... He needs to get to the point.
                            ISO - Fender Highway One Stratocaster - black
                            2004 Chevy Silveraro - 6.6 Liter Duramax Turbo Diesel
                            Pickup Booster - Lava Box - Tweak Fuzz - Vapor Trail

Comment

Originally posted by Bodeanicus View Post
                              Educate yourselves. Be warned that a lot of you don't want to hear this, but it's essential to dispelling the denial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVmFlzksMCE
                              I've seen that video before.

You could've just posted this and it would've said the same thing.

He's taking an overly simplified understanding of how things work, then overly simplifying it and leaving out most of the pertinent information, and basically going "herp, derp, derr herr durp" with a bunch of numbers on a white board.

The guy is basically Scot Grove Lite: No taste, more filling.
                              Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by Bodeanicus View Post
                                The car analogy is irrelevant. A Master Built and MIM are virtually the same guitar, the same 60 year old design. Is the alder in a MB soaked in unicorn tears? Are the tuners and bridge made by dwarves, forged of mithril? Are the pickups wound of unobtanium by Nikola Tesla's automatons? Is the neck carved from a root of Yggdrasil? No? Then explain to me why a MB Stratocaster so "magical?" It's a bolt on electric guitar, not a hand carved, one of a kind "work of art."
                                On the extreme technical level, no two guitars could possibly be the same guitar as we are dealing with organic materials which, like snowflakes, no two pieces of Alder are the same, no cast steel/brass, wire, Maple, Rosewood, Magnet, etc.

I would beg to differ on the two being the same guitars as they have different pickups, different neck shape and radius (radii..? lol,) different quality of work, different quality of materials, different quality standards, different paint, etc...its not as simple as "bolt on neck and strat shape" so they are the same. Will both play notes and chords, yes–but that doesn't mean they are equal. I know lots of guitars that are bolt-on with a strat shape that play great while others are terrible. To you personally is the Masterbuilt worth the extra money–no, but to some it is. It is your preference to say that you don't think there is a difference. I would argue pick up a MIM and then a Masterbuilt (or vice versa) and tell me they are both the same. Do you honestly think that the same level of quality control is found in the mass produced MIM plants as the handmade custom shops?

I've played many MIM guitars that were hot rodded and upgraded. They can be made into very nice guitars. But I've yet to play one with all of the upgrades and mods that played and sounded like the high end US handcrafted guitars I've played and owned.

I once met a guitar player who said he had the best playing Alvarez that blew away any Martin he ever played. It was a nice guitar but the action was too high and the tone was too dark with very little harmonic response. Just because you think they are the same doesn't mean that they are nor does it make everyone else's experiences/opinions invalid.
                                Last edited by treyhaislip; 05-20-2015, 01:37 PM. Reason: I can't spell

Comment

Working...
                                X