Help! Ground buzzing I think...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Ground buzzing I think...

I just rewired a few things in my strat - Changed coils for notch positions, swapped tone controls, minor stuff. I just strung it back up and plugged it in, and WHAM! There was this outrageous buzz that is no other than the ground buzz. Obviously, when I turn the volume all the way down (a master volume), the buzzing goes away. But the buzzing also goes away when the tone control of the pickup selected is turned all the way off. This leads me to believe that one of my tone pots is not grounded well enough. Instead of having to re-solder everything, I was hoping somebody could help me and pinpoint the problem! Thanks a ton

Eric
    woooooo

Re: Help! Ground buzzing I think...

Tough to say without knowing exactly where you sent all your ground wires. You might try one wire at a time, plugging in, and seeing if the buzz is still present. Fortunatly you don't have to reinstall the pickguard to do this.

I would start with the grounding that involves that particular tone knob and see if it goes away.
    Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Re: Help! Ground buzzing I think...

I just checked over the pickguard and everything is grouned properly (atleast it looks all right). I didn't make myself clear in my previous post - both tone controls can turn off the buzz. If I have the neck pup selected, and I roll down that tone control all the way, the buzz goes away. The same thing happens with the bridge pup, too. So it actually isn't just one of the tone controls - it's both.

One thing that may be of note is my bridge pickup - 4 conducter humbucker (I think it's a PG+). It was originally wired white+black, with red ground and green soldered to a lug. I switched that to white+green, red ground and green to slug. I went reading through the forum and found that by doing this, I can use a different coil in the notch position. This may be a problem if I misinterpreted the colors and uses of each wire.
      woooooo

Comment

Working...
      X