Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Pickup Advice

-Want:

Distorted: Crunchy and thick, yet clear. Metal enough, but not so fuzzy and fat that it's overwhelming. Clarity is a must. I play high energy rock with a hint of Metal/Punk.

I've looked at the SH-6 Distorted, the SH-8 Invader, and the LW-HMET LiveWire Metal.

Since I am relatively unfamilliar with Seymour Duncan pickups, I was hoping I could rely on the gurus here in the SD forum. Hit me with what you've got.

--Brian
    Gear:

PRS CE22 (Evo/Evo)
    Fender MIM Powerhouse Stratocaster (Custom/Lil'59) Pic*

PODxt
    Atomic 112

Re: More Pickup Advice

i think the sh6 best fits the description of the tone you want

Comment

I'd say the distortion or maybe the custom. What guitar would this be going into?

Comment

Definitely not the Live Wire. Its output is so overwhelming. You can't get a clean tone (it's not even remotely possible!) from it. And the thing is all mids. I think the Distortion, Custom, and JB would work pretty well. The Invader IMO is pretty muddy unless it's going into a bright body such as alder. Even then, I just don't like it. But it might work for you, depending on what guitar it's going into. So what guitar and what amp?
        '04 Schecter C-1 Plus (TB-4 JB/SH-2n Jazz)

Comment

maybe just a JB
          RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
          TS 7 (modded)
          Hot Rod 50+ XL
          Framus Dragon 4x12
          V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Guitar: American Standard-Issue Stratocaster

Rig: Marshall AVT150, AVT200 Cab.
            Last edited by Watroba; 02-12-2005, 10:38 PM.
            Gear:

PRS CE22 (Evo/Evo)
            Fender MIM Powerhouse Stratocaster (Custom/Lil'59) Pic*

PODxt
            Atomic 112

Comment

May be the output it isn't that important if you guitar it is a SSH. If you have two regular single coils pickups in the neck and middle may be a medium output pickup would be enought.

Many people loves the trem spaced 59 on the bridge of a strat... After all remember that gain will come from your amp...

Comment

Originally posted by Jag513
                .....You can't get a clean tone (it's not even remotely possible!) from it. ....
                Volume Knob

But otherwise I agree. Distortion should do you fine, the Custom would be a good choice if you want a bit more versatility.

Or for a more versatile set, do what Mongrollo suggested and drop a TB-1 ´59 bridge trembucker in there. The AVT has more than enough gain for all but the most Zerbian applications
                Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Ixnay on the livewire etal-may. Even turning the volume knob down won't clear it up.
                  I think you'd be served well by the JB, DD, Invader, Custom or even an EMG 85. That one (85) is REALLY starting to grow on me.
                  “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus
                    Volume Knob
                    Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
                    Ixnay on the livewire etal-may. Even turning the volume knob down won't clear it up.

Originally posted by Zerberus
                    The AVT has more than enough gain for all but the most Zerbian applications

With an American Strat, an Invader may work for you. But I'd still suggest the Distortion as your best bet. With the Custom and JB close.
                    '04 Schecter C-1 Plus (TB-4 JB/SH-2n Jazz)

Comment

Working...
                    X