Disappointed in the Custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disappointed in the Custom

I instsalled a Custom in my musicman copy and I have to say I'm kind of disappointed in it. I like its' articulation and high end through my Rectoverb, but the problem is I'm just not getting enough low end chunk. Compared to the stock pup in my Wolfgang Special it just doesn't sound as heavy. I've adjusted the height, pole pieces, and amp settings but still not enough chunk. I have a JB laying around, do you think it would be better?
    Current Gear: USA Custom Dinky S: Mahogany Body, Pau Ferro Neck & board, DD, Jazz. Schecter C1 E/A: C5, Jazz. Wolfgang Special USA: Air Zone, Air Norton. Ibanez RG7621 7 string. Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 string Bass. Line 6 Vetta 2 with Mesa Recto Cab
    Past Gear : Schecter C1 Blackjack. ESP LTD KH602. Ibanez S 7 string. Ibanez RG7420 7 string. Mesa Rect-o-verb Head. Peavey Classic 50 4x10. Line 6 POD 2.0

Re: Disappointed in the Custom

Whenever I've played a Custom I've always found it has plenty of low end chunk, but then I've been comparing it with the more vintage-style buckers I'm used to. I do love the Custom though - it's one of my favourite pickups ever.

If you have the JB spare you may as well try it. Nothing to lose.

Comment

Originally posted by El Dorado
      I instsalled a Custom in my musicman copy and I have to say I'm kind of disappointed in it. I like its' articulation and high end through my Rectoverb, but the problem is I'm just not getting enough low end chunk. Compared to the stock pup in my Wolfgang Special it just doesn't sound as heavy. I've adjusted the height, pole pieces, and amp settings but still not enough chunk. I have a JB laying around, do you think it would be better?
      I think the DD will give you the tone you are looking for.

Comment

I think the JB has less bass than the Custom, from my experience.
        Originally posted by The Minstrel
        Fair as the country was and the goatboy life my fellows' lot, if I could not've imagined my music's one day whisking me Orionlike to the stars, I'd have as well flung myself into the sea. No other fate would even faintly do; an impassioned lack of alternatives moved my tongue; what for another might be a heartfelt wish was for me an absolute condition.

Comment

Originally posted by italic zero
          I think the JB has less bass than the Custom, from my experience.
          Unfortunately, that is what I was thinking. After reading Duke's post about the DD I think I'm going to sell my custom and go with one of those.
          Current Gear: USA Custom Dinky S: Mahogany Body, Pau Ferro Neck & board, DD, Jazz. Schecter C1 E/A: C5, Jazz. Wolfgang Special USA: Air Zone, Air Norton. Ibanez RG7621 7 string. Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 string Bass. Line 6 Vetta 2 with Mesa Recto Cab
          Past Gear : Schecter C1 Blackjack. ESP LTD KH602. Ibanez S 7 string. Ibanez RG7420 7 string. Mesa Rect-o-verb Head. Peavey Classic 50 4x10. Line 6 POD 2.0

Comment

Funny, the thing that first led me to try a Custom a couple of years ago was my dissatisfaction with the chunk of the DD in the bridge position...oh well, different ears, different guitars...
            ---------------------------
            The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

If you're complaining about a Custom's bottom end, I don't think the JB will do, as its got a much looser, smooth bottom end.

I don't know what could be wrong with what you're doing, but the Custom shouldn't be lacking in that category.

Comment

Originally posted by St_Genesius
                Funny, the thing that first led me to try a Custom a couple of years ago was my dissatisfaction with the chunk of the DD in the bridge position...oh well, different ears, different guitars...
                I'm currently looking into the DD. What guitar were you playing through that didn't sound as good as you hoped? How is the Custom now in that guitar?
                Gear:

PRS CE22 (Evo/Evo)
                Fender MIM Powerhouse Stratocaster (Custom/Lil'59) Pic*

PODxt
                Atomic 112

Comment

custom lacking in low end? dont think ive ever read that before....

oh well, different ears i guess....
                  esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
                  fender mim standard strat
                  peavey classic 30
                  johnson j-station
                  original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
                  dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
                  yamaha f-310p acoustic
                  taylor 410 acoustic
                  "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
                  "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Originally posted by xerxes
                    custom lacking in low end? dont think ive ever read that
                    Me neither. I usually recommend the Custom to those who want low end chunk. I have had all of the Customs in my Les Paul.
                    My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

I would like to think everyone who replied to this, but I think this thread was all for not. My cable just crapped out on me and when I replaced it WOW what a difference. Totally new experience.

Comment

My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

for me the custom had to much low end!
                          The JB has good bass but not much low and and much high mids! In some setups the JB seems to be fatter imo ... but i heard the opposite. I would try the JB you've nothing to loose.
                          *edit* rofl about the cable
                          Last edited by Marcel; 02-13-2005, 09:20 AM.
                          RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
                          TS 7 (modded)
                          Hot Rod 50+ XL
                          Framus Dragon 4x12
                          V-AMP II for practice

Comment

It was sort of a mixture of a Les Paul and a Wolfgang. Closer to an LP though: single cut, mahogany body, maple cap. It came stock with HB103s, which we upgraded to Distortions before swapping out the brdige pup for a Custom. The DD wasn't thin, exactly. Far from it, actually, but it didn't have the weight we were looking for. The Custom did.

Originally posted by Watroba
                            I'm currently looking into the DD. What guitar were you playing through that didn't sound as good as you hoped? How is the Custom now in that guitar?
                            ---------------------------
                            The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Working...
                            X