Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Got the Custom5...

And it rocks!

This pickup is so chunky on the bottom end, yet has a great, airy treble response at the same time. I see how people might think that it lacks midrange, but I think it's just that the Custom5 has so much treble and bass that the mids 'seem' overlooked. With a little re-EQ (was set up to work with my JB), that problem is all gone.

I have to admit, I still love my JB and FS pickups. I've had the JB in my guitars off and on since the late 80's. It's just that the various pickups all fill different niches. On initial impression, the Custom5 is one of my favorite pickups, for sure.

Now, how does this thing sound with single coils in the neck and middle? If vintage are too weak (?), I do have a couple of hot rails lying around...

Mark
    2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
    1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Re: Just Got the Custom5...

Because it's Alnico 5 and isn't dense in mids, it goes well with vintage single coils in an HSS configuration. It does overpower them a bit, but no more than any other humbucker. The hotrails sound great with it. If you want a guitar that resembles 3 humbuckers, go that route. I have the C-5 trem mated with Surfers in an American strat, and with Fender Fat 50's in my G&L. Both are real good, but it's tempting to throw 1 or 2 hotrails in the G&L to make it more of a rock guitar, rather than blues guitar.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I just swapped out a JB for a C5 in my Genny, along with a pair of tapped Quarter Pounds. As good as the JB was, the C5 fills the bill better. I have my 5-way set up like this: (I use #1, as the "top", or "towards-the-neck" position.)

1. middle
      2. neck & middle
      3. neck
      4. neck & bridge
      5. bridge

(btw - thats achieved by simply swapping the neck and middle hot wires on the 5-way. This is a Tele-clone.)

That #4 position, combining the neck QP with the C5 is great. Especially if I "tap" the QP.

Comment

Artie, your wiring idea seems simple enough, by just reversing those hot leads on the neck and middle. Did you run into any phase or non-humcancelling problems by doing that?
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
          Artie, your wiring idea seems simple enough, by just reversing those hot leads on the neck and middle. Did you run into any phase or non-humcancelling problems by doing that?
          No . . . not at all. Remember, I haven't changed anything except the physical position of the handle, relative to which pups are on. Its still the same hot and ground wires. Just the "order" that they are selected is different.

btw - its so simple and easy to do, you should try it. It could also be achieved through a push/pull or a toggle switch. Use it to reverse those two wires back and forth, giving you "my" 5-way mode, and normal.

Comment

Working...
          X