X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: the Hy-Bro neck is in!

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
    It's a NECK p'up, guys.

If you listen to the "It Was Only Yesterday SOLO" file, you'll hear the clean phrases through a blackface and the gainy ones through a Plexi. The "gainy" ones sound "flutey", but defined.

More gain would've just made'em "mush-out" and lose the definition. Also, as it sustains for days with a next-to-nothing amount of gain, I don't see the point of wanting more.

If you're looking for a Gary Moore "Still have the blues for you" kinda tone, this just *NOT* the right p'up for it. It's way too fat for that, if you ask me.

However... now that I think of it, if you have a Triple Shot set, setting the Hy-Bro neck in parallel, it would do a lot more gain without losing that much definition so it becomes unusable, although you'll have to revise the whole amp setting for that.

I did not document this p'up set in the "parallel" setting. I'd never even thought about it, TBH. All I can say is that, in a nutshell, is like having a completely different instrument at the flick of four switches. And now that I have a Triple Shot set, I can better see the utility of having it!

Maybe I'll have a go at it later on, time and life permitting, of course!

HTH,
    Forgive me, Pepe, I'm just a metal guy at heart and I'm always looking for a neat lead tone from my neck

Comment

Originally posted by Ptolemaeus View Post
      Forgive me, Pepe, I'm just a metal guy at heart and I'm always looking for a neat lead tone from my neck
      Nothing to forgive, it's a valid question to ask. Don't get me wrong: it CAN be done.

You just gotta find the right settings in your amp. It just was *not* on that day's "to-do" list.

Also, hi-gain tone needs a special skill set that I don't consider myself to possess any of it, if you know what I mean.
      Last edited by LtKojak; 10-11-2015, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Awesome demo's Pepe! So....with having put it through its paces and describing it as a fairly "fat" sounding neck pickup, do you think the final production version would be better if it were a little leaner on the low end and/or brighter?

Comment

Lt.K. -
          nice sound and playing, Pepe.
          sjb

Comment

I am very excited about this model to be used as a bridge pickup. As a neck pickup...sure. But mostly as a bridge pickup.

Any word on whether we can order them in "special" colors, like black nickel?
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Yogi Berra was correct.
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

You could find plenty of eager help from the Guidos in your neck of woods...
              The "family" isn't quite what it used to be since my Pop Pop passed on. LOL

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk
              Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
                The "family" isn't quite what it used to be since my Pop Pop passed on
                Really?

SO FUHGET 'BOUT IT!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by VHTJay View Post
                  having put it through its paces and describing it as a fairly "fat" sounding neck pickup, do you think the final production version would be better if it were a little leaner on the low end and/or brighter?
                  Well, I still need to put it under gain, so I'm looking for a convincing rock/metal player to do the playing, as I don't think my mine is up to snuff with a genre I grew apart from some twenty years ago...

But, in a nutshell, with what I got so far, I'd like it better leaner, certainly not brighter, in a 22-fretter, 24.75" scaled instrument.

I'm dying to try the Hy-Bro on a 25,5" scaled, 24-fretter one. My gut's telling me that it'll kill it into that context.

And, as a matter of fact, I DO own such an instrument!

HTH,
                  Last edited by LtKojak; 10-12-2015, 02:11 PM.

Comment

I want to put one in the neck of this with a matching bridge '59/C Hybrid.

Nope...

Comment

Niiiceeeee!!!!!!!!!

Comment

How did you get a SUB1 neck on an Axis body?

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion1 View Post
                          How did you get a SUB1 neck on an Axis body?
                          It's an EBMM Sterling SUB AX4. Currently it's a GC exclusive for around $329. I got it on sale when it was $229.
                          Nope...

Comment

Well, I still need to put it under gain, so I'm looking for a convincing rock/metal player to do the playing, as I don't think my mine is up to snuff with a genre I grew apart from some twenty years ago...

But, in a nutshell, with what I got so far, I'd like it better leaner, certainly not brighter, in a 22-fretter, 24.75" scaled instrument.

I'm dying to try the Hy-Bro on a 25,5" scaled, 24-fretter one. My gut's telling me that it'll kill it into that context.

And, as a matter of fact, I DO own such an instrument!

HTH,
                            Great job so far.

And as far as high gain goes, some blues stuff at high gain would satisfy my curiosity. It doesn't necessarily have to be metal.
                            Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

I'd actually like to hear it across the gain spectrum... chords and solo from light grit to face melt...

ETA: This is not to say that what's there isn't useful (or sound good) - it is, and it does. Thanks, Pepe!
                              Last edited by jtougas; 10-14-2015, 10:01 AM.
                              "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
                                It's an EBMM Sterling SUB AX4. Currently it's a GC exclusive for around $329. I got it on sale when it was $229.
                                SAAAWEEEET!! Gorgeous axe and friggin amazing price!!! SCORE!!

Those are supposed to be better quality than the OLP's right? Or are they just rebranded? I thought the OLPs were pretty impressive for the price point..
                                Last edited by BloodRose; 10-14-2015, 09:40 AM.
                                Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                                X