Dimebucker Mistake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimebucker Mistake?

I got myself a Dimebucker pretty cheap off ebay cause I have been looking for a new bridge pickup. I think I might have made a thoughtless decision though. I am looking for a crushing metal tone and play through an alder body Jackson RR3. I have since read some reviews of the Dimebucker and a lot of people really seemed to have opened a can on it. The general consensus seemed to be that it was muddy, mushy and too trebly. But others seemed to really like it alot. It seems you either love it or hate it. I like to krank my mids up a bit, yet the Dimebucker has a 'scooped sound' does it not? Have I made a huge mistake?? Can someone please come in to bat for the Dimebucker?

Re: Dimebucker Mistake?

I've played one in an Ibanez RG and really liked the tone. The mids seemed scooped a bit, but I found it to have plenty of punch was great for leads and harmonics were well defined. Maybe the distortion would suit you better.

Comment

Give it a shot, and decide for yourself. I wouldn't worry too much about what everybody else thinks. My favorite pickup is the Invader, and everybody rags on it
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I say give it a shot too... Really if you've already purchased it... go for it... worst comes to worst i'm sure you can sell or trade it for something you like better...
        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Thanks guys. Much appreciated

Comment

the dime is a very good pup
            it is based on dimes old XXL 500
            here read about it,
            What bridge pickup did Dimebag Darrell use?
            Dime was on a tone quest for a long time before he and Washburn Guitars came to us. He had tried numerous custom wound pickups, but none were giving him the tone he was looking for. At the time Dime and Washburn came to us, Dime was using a custom wound pickup that he called an XXL-500. It was not available to the public. And it was still not giving Dime his tone. That's when Dime and Washburn turned to us. We started with Dime's best-sounding XXL-500 and then made numerous tweaks. We changed the magnet type, the wire gauge, the number of turns, and other factors. Dime tested the pickups on tour, so they got real world "arena" testing. After a few back-and-forth exchanges, we finally nailed his tone. And that's the SH-13 Dimebucker. It's the pickup that Dime used and -- for the first time -- the pickup Dime used is available to the public. It works great in Dime's solid state amps as well as tube amps. For more information about Dime and the Dimebucker, read his interview on this site. Dime did a great job describing the distortion quality of the pickup. We were very priviledged to work with Dime and we mourned his tragic death. R.I.P.

and here is dime talking about it,
            Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

Comment

I have the Dimebucker in an Ibanez RG 620QM bridge, and i sure do love it a lot!! It does have a mid-scooped sound, that s true, but i personally would not want to swap the Dime in my RG for any other pickup. It's true: most people either hate or love the SH-13, but i sure do love it!
              "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

I swear if there were a pickup with blood, spikes, and rezors on it you metal guys would buy it. Why does everything need to look scary and aggressive to play metal on? If you like mids, good chunk and distortion, and a richness other pickups don't have, get a JB, that's the bottom line.

Comment

Working...
                X