Livewire Hot for Strat/Lace Sensors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Livewire Hot for Strat/Lace Sensors

I got a Strat today (Thanks Kac!) and in the bridge is a Livewire Hot for Strat. Holy shnikees! Talk about a kick ass pickup. With heavy distortion, it sounds great for metal, and the cleans are killer, too.

The middle pickup is a silver Lace Sensor, and the neck is a blue. I'm really digging them, as well. I've never used them prior to now, and am blown away. I've never been a fan of single coils, but these three are really winning me over.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Re: Livewire Hot for Strat/Lace Sensors

Well, JB I'm really glad that you're enjoying them, they were always good to me.
    The Ibanez Humbuckers in my RG 7-string aren't too bad, but I'll be changing them out at some point in the future. I traded away my guitar with a Duncan pick-up, so now I gotta buy some more.
    Rock On
    ISO - Fender Highway One Stratocaster - black
    2004 Chevy Silveraro - 6.6 Liter Duramax Turbo Diesel
    Pickup Booster - Lava Box - Tweak Fuzz - Vapor Trail

Comment

I always thought those (the 7 string) pickups weren't great, but definitely useable. Better than the six string models, anyway
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Some of the Lace pickups are really good, while others I don't really care for. I think the Hot Gold and Holy Grail models are excellent choices if you want a Strat pickup that doesn't hum.

Ryan
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

JB, can you give further detail about the lace sensors? Which is in the neck spot? I just bought those same exact lace sensors but havent decided where to use them yet.

Comment

The blue one is in the neck, silver in the middle. The blue one is fat and thick. Very Strat-like, but 'bucker-ish as well The silver is not as hot, but balances extremely well. The two together is the first time I've liked the neck/mid combo on a Strat. The thing that really blows me away is they're both as quiet as the Livewire.

Lace's descriptions of their pickups (these two, anyway) are extremely accurate.

Does anybody know what the Lace pickups look like under the covers? What I mean is, do they have blades or poles?

Comment

I've got a set of Custom Shop Hot Golds with a hot (13.something) bridge and they made my Strat sound like a Strat should! Great value for a set of three.
              Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Comment

Do you have the same impedance matching problems with actives and passives with the live-wires that you do with EMG's???
                "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher
                  Do you have the same impedance matching problems with actives and passives with the live-wires that you do with EMG's???
                  None whatsoever. I don't know how it's wired (haven't looked under the hood yet ) but you'd never know that there's an active in the bunch, except for the fact that the Laces are super quiet under high gain, but the Livewire is dead silent.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
                    Does anybody know what the Lace pickups look like under the covers? What I mean is, do they have blades or poles?

36 Tiny polepieces.

That's how they get them to be so quiet and to have so little string pull. Something to do with the diffusion of the magnetic field.

They have no humcancelling coils, and are, in fact, true single coils.

Technically, they are not "noiseless", just"low-noise".
                    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Are the poles arranged in a 2X18 manner, or something else?

I cannot believe they're not hum-cancelling... they're quieter than some 'buckers I've used.

Comment

Yep, 2x18, IIRC. They're quite ugly looking when you take the covers off.

Also, they don't use a normal magnet, according to Dan Erlewine's book, which might contribute to their low noise.
                        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

If you haven't done it already, try adjusting the Laces really close to the strings. Because of the very low magnetic pull, you can adjust them much closer to the strings than you can a normal single coil. In fact, they often sound better that way.

Ryan
                          Originally posted by JOLLY
                          I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

I had them lowered a bit, and the Livewire jacked up really high, so I'll try raising the Laces. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Working...
                            X