new lwmet pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new lwmet pickup

I have a jackson shannon soloist that i just installed a lwmetbridg. I think i have a ssl-3 or aps-1(it says 5-r)
    in the neck and middle, i like the sound of the neck and bridge together so i swaped the wiring
    on the switch so i can get that.I would like to put a hot rails in the middle and have it so i can
    select bridge, mid, neck, br-mid, br-neck, is there a way to do this.

Re: new lwmet pickup

Anoyher question the directions say to leave the 250k pots in and use the 200k resistor,but i have a 500k pot do i still use the resistor because i did.

Comment

Originally posted by scott
      I would like to put a hot rails in the middle and have it so i can
      select bridge, mid, neck, br-mid, br-neck, is there a way to do this.
      This is easy, if you don't need that exact order. Just wire the 5-way up as normal, but swap the middle and bridge hot wires on the switch. That will give you: (starting at the neck position)

1. neck
      2. neck & bridge
      3. bridge
      4. bridge & middle
      5. middle

Its like having a 3-way switch between neck and bridge when you come forward, and a 3-way between middle and bridge, when you go backward.

Its the same way I wired my Genny, except that I swapped the neck and middle.

Comment

does it matter that the neck and bridge are humbuckers

Comment

Not in terms of how the 5-way is arranged. Its just a piece of metal that shorts the hot wires to the output jack.

The only problem is the one thats associated with mixing actives and passives. I'm not sure how big a problem that is, I've just seen it discussed here many times. You may want to search the FAQ's, or hopefully, someone else will chime in on that part.

Comment

thanks for the reply thats a cool way to set up the switch

Comment

Keep in mind, there are other options you may want to explore also. Especially since one of your pups is an active. For example, you could use a simple 3-way switch to select between neck and middle, and then put the bridge on a push/pull pot, so that you could call it up at any time, even including having all three pups on at once.

The thing is, with the active in there, I'm not so sure my simple solution is the best solution. I'm hoping someone else will jump in here and offer some opinions.

Comment

Most people say you should just avoid mixing actives and passives, I dunno why but that's my two cents...
                green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

what's the theory behind mixing passive and active, my passive neck and active bridge sound great.i would just like to ad a pickup in the middle with some low end punch because that is the onle tone im missing right now the mid pup is useless.
                  the hot rails looks like it has some low end.
                  My question is the hot rail is a humbuc and so is the lwmet will they work at the same time like my neck and bridge

Comment

Actives generally require the use of a ~25k pots, while the passives fare better with ~250+, depending on the pup. I had no success mixing actives and passives on my Ibanez, which is why I went all active. That, and the "switch" for teh 9v was accomplished at the side jack by pulling out the cable one click. A real PITA, so I never did it, and when the 9v was on, the passive pickups were completely unusable.

But, if it works for you then I guess it works for you. It'd be alright to mix them I guess if you had seperate value pots for the active and a switch that cuts the 9v out of the loop when running with the passives.
                    Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

I don't have different pots for my actives and passives and its still fine. I use the 250k that came with them. The only thing I can tell thats different is the volume of the active rolls off a lot faster than the passives when I turn them down.
                      Speak through your fingers

Comment

Working...
                      X