• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P/U heights for Strat

I am running:
    Bridge "lil 59
    Middle - Vintage Rails
    Neck - Cool Rails

What is the correct distances between the tops of the p/u s and the strings? I can't find a reference anywhere.

Thanks.

(bump)

Is this just on the S/D site somewhere? i have done a search but hard to find the topic directly.

I saw one that said 1/8" on low E and 1/16" on high E but that sounds awfully close. Plus, I would have thought it would differ between different types of p/u.

Any help appreciated.

Comment

Re: P/U heights for Strat

Hey KnotheadII,

This question is one that I don't think gets asked enough. Here are the specs right out of a Fender Strat Owner's manual...

Noiseless or Tex Specials = Bass Side - 8/64" Treb Side - 6/64"

Vintage Style = Bass Side - 6/64" Treb Side - 5/64"

American/Mexican Standard = Bass Side - 5/64" Treb Side - 4/64"

Humbucking = Bass Side - 4/64" Treb Side - 3/64"

Lace Sensors = As close as desired (allowing for string vibration)

Now, that being said, You should experiment a bit with this. My Texas Specials sound MUCH better being adjusted down nearly flush with the pickguard. My SCN noiseless sound better being adjusted a bit lower than called for above. This is a matter of taste to a certain degree.

I do know that if I put my TX Specials to high, I loose a TON of sustain and bottom end. They get "ice pick" trebly and very spiky.

The best bet is to plug in, keep a phillips screwdriver handy and play-adjust-play-adjust until you find what you like. Don't forget to play a bit with the treble-to-bass side angle, either... this way you find YOUR tone.

Comment

Working...
      X