More JB/59 stuff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: More JB/59 stuff.

I've been deliberating for weeks whether to choose the JB/Lil 59 configaration.

I'm looking for versatility but worry that the Lil 59 in the neck won't be powerful enough for any shred orientated lead.

I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out the best combination!

Comment

The JB/Jazz combo works better than the 59/JB combo to my ears. There is such a smooth transition when switching from the Jazz neck, to the middle position, to the JB bridge.

With that said, i like the 59 neck better for single note stuff, it has a little more presence to it then the jazz.
      Gibson ES-335 (stock '57 Classics)*Warmoth Tele (PGn/Brobuckerbridge) *Fender American Strat w/DiMarzio Fast Track Is*Fender Princeton Reverb*Martin D-28*Favorite effects-Maxon AD80*80s Ibanez TS-9*80s Boss OD-1*Fulldrive 2*Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive and MicroVibe-Maxon AF-9*Vox Wah

Comment

I like the JB/Pearly Gates combo myself. The '59 can have a bit too much bass for the JB in the wrong guitar (to my ears). Having said that, I had a JB/59 combo for years and loved it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
        buggjuice.net
        MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Jag513
          About 1/3 of 80's metal was recorded using a JB. And tons of metallers today use it too.

And the other 2/3's? Super D? PAF Pro? DD?

Comment

Originally posted by Nightburst
            I can't say I'm a big fan of the '59/JB combination. I've used this combo for a while but I could never find a good balanced eq on my amp. '59 was either too bassy/muddy or the JB was to bright/middy. How do you guys feel about this?
            Hi, newbie here. I have the '59/jb combo in a Hamer. Came that way, so I don't know if they are any different from the after market ones.
            I get a great sound (well to me at least) dialing in the sound in the middle position. The 59 will then be full, but not muddy. The JB is a little bright, which I like for low string riffing, but I usually have to roll the tone back a bit for leads.

Comment

Working...
            X