Duckbucker vs. Vintage Rails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duckbucker vs. Vintage Rails

I know under the hood, the duckbucker and vintage rails are the same, but are there any differences in tone or output? I need to fill an oval route without the tab for singlecoils, and want to know which is closer to a true single coil in sound...thanks!

Re: Duckbucker vs. Vintage Rails

i have a duckbucker and love it's tone ... that being said, i shouldve gotten the VR, because i believe that it wouldve had more even response when i bend strings

i dont know how to compare it to a 'true single coil' because to me, it is a different beast altogether ... when you listen very critically, i am sure that the differences between the duck and the VR are not noticeable ... but i bet they are both noticeably different from a single coil (if nothing else, they are quieter ) ... with all the differences, i still think the duck/VR give a very musical and pursuasive rendition of single coil tone

good luck
    t4d
    gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

thanks t4d...do you have a big problem with the string dropout because of the poles on the duckbucker?

Comment

well, to try to improve the situation i raised the pickup very close to the strings ... this seems to have reduced the condition somewhat .. but i feel that maybe i am giving up a little of the 'quack' in the #2 and #4 positions by not having it be lower as middle pickups often (usually?) are ... until i try a VR, i wont know for sure

good luck
        t4d
        gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

I tried duckmuckers and live rails...
          I guess that the moniker duckmuckers speaks for itself....
          Live rails are better sounding.

If your looking for a vintage tone, try other "Vintage" style pups like the SSL-1 Vintage Staggered or SSL-2 Vintage Flat.

If your after a more progressive tone, try the SSL-3 Hot or SSL-7 Quarter-Pound™ Staggered or SSL-4 Quarter-Pound™ Flat and stand back..
          Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
          When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
          Red Devils - 1% all the way!
          Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
          Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by tone4days
            well, to try to improve the situation i raised the pickup very close to the strings ... this seems to have reduced the condition somewhat .. but i feel that maybe i am giving up a little of the 'quack' in the #2 and #4 positions by not having it be lower as middle pickups often (usually?) are ... until i try a VR, i wont know for sure

good luck
            t4d

Is it lowering the middle pickup that really gives a strat that quack? And I'm putting the pickup in a steinberger with a bridge whose spacing I'm unsure of...so the VR may work out better for me.

Comment

Working...
            X