Help wiring a 5 way rotary switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help wiring a 5 way rotary switch

I'm wiring a 5 way rotary switch to 3 dimarzio humbuckers. The pickups coils are in parallel for single coil tones. I want to replicate a strat's blade switch only with the rotary. Anyone know how wire these? There are a lot of tabs on it. I'm trying to upload a pic, but I keep getting an error message.

Re: Help wiring a 5 way rotary switch

Here is an explanation of the switch:

Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I saw that, but the diagram is totally different Than how I am using the switch. Think of my humbuckers as single coils with a hot and ground and the rotary switch offering the same selections as a strat.

Comment

Originally posted by tenniso View Post
        I saw that, but the diagram is totally different Than how I am using the switch. Think of my humbuckers as single coils with a hot and ground and the rotary switch offering the same selections as a strat.
        confused ... a switch is a switch as they all work basically the same way but might look a bit different ..

. ill try to draw up something for you today..Will give me a chance to use my rotary switch object I just made recently.

Comment

i am only familiar with strat switches and les paul switches. this rotary has lots of lugs i don't know what to do with. Thanks for the help, i really appreciate it.

Comment

i am only familiar with strat switches and les paul switches. this rotary has lots of lugs i don't know what to do with. Thanks for the help, i really appreciate it.

as i said ..switches are switches.. once you understand one,they are basically all the same..
            ok before i begin.. do you want a specific wiring scheme to be converted from a strat 5 way to a rotary 5-way.. if so, you have a link to the drawing or a pic?

if you dont have the above.. I need to know what exactly you want the switch to do in each position..

also..what type of 5 way rotary switch.. 2 Pole or 4 Pole
            Last edited by Brandenburg; 05-12-2016, 02:19 PM.

Comment

its the 4 pole in this link: http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_E..._Switches.html

i want to mimic the standard 5 selections found on a stratocaster: neck/neck & middle/middle/middle & bridge/ bridge. i am only using a rotary because there's nowhere to put a blade switch on my guitar. this is a project guitar i am having to figure out things as i go. i am familiar with a strat switch, but never have even seen a rotary switch. that's why i am so confused by it. my pickups are 3 humbuckers. each one has its coils wired in parallel. i am not doing any series, or coil tapping. just 3 humbuckers with their coils wired in parallel, to the rotary switch, then to a volume and tone, then the output jack. thanks again for the help.

Comment

its the 4 pole in this link: http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_E..._Switches.html

i want to mimic the standard 5 selections found on a stratocaster: neck/neck & middle/middle/middle & bridge/ bridge. i am only using a rotary because there's nowhere to put a blade switch on my guitar. this is a project guitar i am having to figure out things as i go. i am familiar with a strat switch, but never have even seen a rotary switch. that's why i am so confused by it. my pickups are 3 humbuckers. each one has its coils wired in parallel. i am not doing any series, or coil tapping. just 3 humbuckers with their coils wired in parallel, to the rotary switch, then to a volume and tone, then the output jack. thanks again for the help.
                ill do it tonight then. 1ve never wired up a rotary but its similar to a 5 way super switch... switches are easy as long as I have a) a pinout b) the switch and a DMM

also.. Why not just cut a slot for a 5 way if this is just a project guitar and wiring the pickups all in parallel from the start is a tad odd imo

as I said, Ill do it tonight sometime. Its already done in my head mentally. now I just have to physically draw it which take a bit to do it right and make it look neat

Comment

thanks for helping me with this.

i don't have the means to cut a slot in the guitar, besides there are already 3 holes that will accommodate the switch, volume and tone controls.

Comment

The rotary will do exactly what the blade switch will do. (In fact for the switching scheme that you want, you only need the two pole rotary switch). Like Brandenburg said, it is just a switch...they all work the same (in principle), the rotary you have will be wired just the same as a 5 way super strat blade switch, but you only need to use half of the switch (the "back end"). Scroll down in your link to the small diagrams that show the configuration. Your switch has 5 solder spots labeled 1-5 in red and 5 more in blue with a "common" for each in the center. Those numbers translate to the 1-5 lugs on the two sets of lugs on either the left or the right side of a Super Strat type blade switch and will be wired the same. #1 & 2 red (shunted together) would be the bridge lead; 4 & 5 red (shunted) would be the neck lead; 2, 3, & 4 blue would be middle lead. Commons are shunted together with a lead to the vol pot.

(Just doing this in my head...no pencil and paper handy...hope I have done this correctly).

Comment

well .. i finished it last night.. some might not agree with how i did it but that is to be expected..

It will raise some eyebrows how I did the grounds.. The reason is simple. YES, the white and green leads can be connected to the traditional back of thew volume pot BUT if all of the wire is in a insulated grey sheaf or whatever you call it.., it would be easier to hook the grounds to switch and then to the back of the pot.. If all 4 'pup wires are free from that insulator, use the back of the pot or switch.. In any case putting the grounds on the switch will yield cleaner results

before anyone skimmed over the requirements the OP gave and looks at me crazy .. the OP asked for the humbuckers to be wired in parallel..i.e. the Black AND RED are the hot and the green and white are grounds..

you can also use the bottom of the switch or just use a 2-pole switch too.. just follow the numbers of the pin out and use my drawing as a guide if it helps
                      without further adue
                      Last edited by Brandenburg; 05-13-2016, 10:17 AM. Reason: left out a word

Comment

just saw an error.. tone pot should be grounded to the volume..

Comment

Originally posted by Brandenburg View Post
                          well .. i finished it last night.. some might not agree with how i did it but that is to be expected..

It will raise some eyebrows how I did the grounds.. The reason is simple. YES, the white and green leads can be connected to the traditional back of thew volume pot BUT if all of the wire is in a insulated grey sheaf or whatever you call it.., it would be easier to hook the grounds to switch and then to the back of the pot.. If all 4 'pup wires are free from that insulator, use the back of the pot or switch.. In any case putting the grounds on the switch will yield cleaner results

before anyone skimmed over the requirements the OP gave and looks at me crazy .. the OP asked for the humbuckers to be wired in parallel..i.e. the Black AND RED are the hot and the green and white are grounds..

you can also use the bottom of the switch or just use a 2-pole switch too.. just follow the numbers of the pin out and use my drawing as a guide if it helps
                          without further adue
                          That's essentially what I suggested, except I was just using the bottom half of the switch with all pup grounds going directly to the back of the pots. This is actually much easier than trying to connect all the grounds to the switch, and then connecting all the lugs of the switch together, then run a wire from the switch to the back of the pot anyway to ground the pups. It is NOT easier nor is it neater. Where in the world do you get that?! Have you ever wired a rotary switch before?

Comment

Plus, since you are already connecting the bridge and middle pup grounds together anyway, it would be so so so much easier and neater to connect all three of the pup ground wires together with a single pigtail to the back of the vol pot.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                              Plus, since you are already connecting the bridge and middle pup grounds together anyway, it would be so so so much easier and neater to connect all three of the pup ground wires together with a single pigtail to the back of the vol pot.

lol ..i stand by what I said...I have never wired up a rotary BUT I do have a few, so I know what they look like, feel like,the size, how the work,etc... Not like i would try to wire the rotary in the guitar.. Id literally do the whole switch outside the cavity if possible so to me.. my way would be easier just to wire all the pup wires on the rotary if the leads are long enough.. thats a big if though

and suggesting something and actually going through the trouble of drawing it out for someone is sorta different.. I understood what you meant and could visualize it in my head but i actually understand the theory as well..not everone does.. Most want to see the drawing in front of them and connet the dots. I have noticed that most wiring novices have problems when you try to explain in text what to do,but if you map it out for them with nice big graphics and colors,they tend to have little to no issue.. all my components in my drawing look awesome I have to admit. Since Im making so many drawings here lately,I just updated the art work.. drew a few more components such as a rotary switch, added more text, and numbered the pins . The rotary and the cap are new component to the library.. I still need to add more though

wish I had a spare guitar I could just wire up a rotary to prove my point (*cough Godlike abilities) muhahahah. i personal dont like rotary's for 'pup selection and would much rather use a 5-way superswitch.. now for some kind of specialized tonal control,rotary's might be ok
                              Last edited by Brandenburg; 05-14-2016, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X