Phat Cat in a Tele...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phat Cat in a Tele...?

I'm thinking about putting a Phat Cat in the bridge of a Highway 1 Tele, and was wandering if i'm gonna run into any problems? I know its gonna require extra routing and a new bridge, but will the string spacing be ok if i use a normal humbucker-sized tele bridge?

I was initially thinking about putting a normal P90 in there, but i think the Phat Cat will possibly be a more reversible mod, and tele bridges to fit HB sized pups seem more readily available...am i correct in thinking this?

I'm also interested in what it will sound like - i'm after a really nice fat tele sound but still keeping the single coil-ness. Its gonna be in an ash body with maple neck & board (the 'Texas Tele'). I know some of you might suggest the 1/4 pounder, but the other guitarist in our band has a couple of teles with those and i dont wanna be the same!! (although i'll prob slap a 1/4ib neck in there if the stock pup's not up to scratch!)

Any help would be really appreciated!

Chris

Re: Phat Cat in a Tele...?

I'd put a Phat Cat in the neck and a Jerry Donahue Tele lead in the bridge, then play with the tone control to suit your tastes. This is a great combo and will be easier and cheaper to do and undo in the long run. I have an American Series ash/RW Tele with this combo, and it gets in the P90 ballpark without losing that Tele tone.

BTW, I adjust the JD Tele lead very close to the strings (nearly 1/16" at the treble side) to up the mids and output.

Comment

Working...
    X