banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need wiring help with Ibanez 3-way import switch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need wiring help with Ibanez 3-way import switch.

Hello all. First post here.

I'm not the greatest with reading schematics so please bear with me.

I recently picked up an Ibanez RGAIX6FM that comes stock with dimarzios, a 3 way import blade and a 2 way coil tap switch.

Before I began I tried to find a comparable dimarzio diagram so I could compare the various wires but I had no luck; looking at what was wired it didn't really make sense. I checked the duncan schematics but they're all for standard switches...and I don't feel comfortable playing trial and error.

So, I've got a set of Alpha/Omega humbuckers to throw in there (which I already had to modify the legs to make them fit the routes) and I just want to wire them up as the previous pickups were. 3 way, with a 2 way mini coil tap switch.

Can someone throw me a bone and give me some pointers?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Need wiring help with Ibanez 3-way import switch.

Originally posted by Philkilla View Post
    Hello all. First post here.

I'm not the greatest with reading schematics so please bear with me.

I recently picked up an Ibanez RGAIX6FM that comes stock with dimarzios, a 3 way import blade and a 2 way coil tap switch.

Before I began I tried to find a comparable dimarzio diagram so I could compare the various wires but I had no luck; looking at what was wired it didn't really make sense. I checked the duncan schematics but they're all for standard switches...and I don't feel comfortable playing trial and error.

So, I've got a set of Alpha/Omega humbuckers to throw in there (which I already had to modify the legs to make them fit the routes) and I just want to wire them up as the previous pickups were. 3 way, with a 2 way mini coil tap switch.

Can someone throw me a bone and give me some pointers?

Thanks in advance!
    without documetation on a switch a digital multimeter is indispensable.. no guessing involved OR just buy another more common switch

with a quick google search , this was the 1st hit..

Comment

Hey thanks, I made a good note of that. One thing that confused me with how it was wired up was the South Finish from the neck was wired and the North finish from the bridge was wired. This differed from the SD diagram because it the North start from the bridge/neck going to the same spots.

When it comes to the coil tap should I just follow the SD diagram explicitely? Dimarzio has theirs wired a bit weird in that respect too.

How about this.

Could I wire my guitar up with this diagram but use a push-pull volume pot in place of one of the mini toggles?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	5793219
      Last edited by Philkilla; 06-16-2016, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Hey thanks, I made a good note of that. One thing that confused me with how it was wired up was the South Finish from the neck was wired and the North finish from the bridge was wired. This differed from the SD diagram because it the North start from the bridge/neck going to the same spots.

When it comes to the coil tap should I just follow the SD diagram explicitely? Dimarzio has theirs wired a bit weird in that respect too.

How about this.

Could I wire my guitar up with this diagram but use a push-pull volume pot in place of one of the mini toggles?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72927[/ATTACH]

ill have too look at it in more depth a bit later.. but in the meantime i had to check something out.. just what i thought.. Damazio color codes and seymour duncan are different.. with electronics , you cant guess. you have to do research or test to know ... Only say that if you made the assumption that the wires from both companies were the same

Name:	PickupColorCodeChart-2.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	5793220

no difference in the switches for push/pull pots.. push/push pots or just stand alone switches if the switches are ON/ON.. reason i say that is because switches also come in two different flavors.. on/on/on and on/off/on.. DPDT pots are only on/on

as for coil splits.. all you are doing is grounding out one coil when you split it. This is usually the south coil that gets grounded..

i take it you want coil splits on both humbucker via 1 push/pull pot.. 3 way selector switch and a volume..no tone?
        ------------DRAWING NOW-------------

Well... I just drew this up with the proper color codes/switch. Took me a bit longer than usual as I didn't have an import 3-way switch component in my library. So I I had to draw one up quickly

Name:	Ibanez H,H,coil split.jpg
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	5793221

Comment

Oh man, that's awesome.

I knew from prior experience that Dimarzio and SD had different color schemes fortunately, which only further fueled my confusion.

Next question, I'd have to toss the push-pull in which isn't a problem...but it already has the 2 way mini switch installed.

Do you think I could wire it so the volume is the push-pull and the mini 2 way is a phase switch? That would be really cool.

Comment

Oh man, that's awesome.

I knew from prior experience that Dimarzio and SD had different color schemes fortunately, which only further fueled my confusion.

Next question, I'd have to toss the push-pull in which isn't a problem...but it already has the 2 way mini switch installed.

Do you think I could wire it so the volume is the push-pull and the mini 2 way is a phase switch? That would be really cool.
            yea... ill do it a bit later.. really tired atm so im probably going to lay down.. sry but ill get it done later

so you want a 2 way switch for phase.. and the push/pull for coil splits?

Comment

Originally posted by Brandenburg View Post
              yea... ill do it a bit later.. really tired atm so im probably going to lay down.. sry but ill get it done later

so you want a 2 way switch for phase.. and the push/pull for coil splits?
              Man, you're going above and beyond.

Yah that sounds awesome. Whatever you think would be the most logical way to make use of it.

Lemme know if you need advice with computers, tv's, or guns haha. That's my area of expertise.

Comment

Man, you're going above and beyond.

Yah that sounds awesome. Whatever you think would be the most logical way to make use of it.

Lemme know if you need advice with computers, tv's, or guns haha. That's my area of expertise.
                I think this should get ya there dude.. np about the drawings. its what I do

Name:	Ibanez H,H,coil split.jpg
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	5793224

Comment

You're the man!, one caveat though, you have Dimarzio colors on the diagram. I took dimarzios out and am putting in a set of seymour duncan Alpha/Omegas.

I can probably just decipher it though.

Edit: Is there anywhere specific I should ground the pickups at with this schematic?
                  Last edited by Philkilla; 06-16-2016, 02:16 PM.

Comment

You're the man!, one caveat though, you have Dimarzio colors on the diagram. I took dimarzios out and am putting in a set of seymour duncan Alpha/Omegas.

I can probably just decipher it though.

Edit: Is there anywhere specific I should ground the pickups at with this schematic?
                    im sorry thought you was keeping damazios in.. ill change it later tonight .. all on the volume pot.. well the necks ground goes to the switch.. then to the pot

Comment

just looked.. and had an ahh.. ha.. moment.. just swap the red for black and the black for red

black=north start
                      red =north finish
                      for SD pup's

Comment

Isn't white north finish?

Comment

blahh you are correct.. not sure why i thought what i thought...its.. black,white,red,green. i knew this but my there was a lack of communication with my brain/fingers

Comment

Ahhh it happens to the best of us man. I finally finished prepping the pickups to go in the guitar...I appreciate all the help and I'll let ya know how it turns out!

Comment

Hey just so I don't make a mistake is this how you have your push pull pot diagrammed? I have a cts dpdt pot like the one on this link:

Comment

Working...
                              X