This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Saturday Night Special

Someone in the beginning of this thread mentioned a trembucker version, but there isn't one listed. I did contact SD re this, did it twice, because I thought the first e mail got lost in cyber space.

I did receive answers from both e mails from the same person. One answer was that it would be a Custom Shop order, with the expected higher price, and the other answer was to go through my dealer for a Shop Floor Custom Order, which would be a small upcharge, or maybe no upcharge.

Anyone else heard anything about a Trembucker version?

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
      Customers have a way of affecting sales numbers when they figure out the truth of such a situation.
      LOL, you can't figure out the truth, because, you see, it's all trade secret.

no joke.

just some people waiting on some clarification on how the Leesona is/was marketed for the SNS and someone with an apparent trend of derailing threads shows up to complain about "round".
      We know that the mention of the Leesona winder was deliberately, and not accidentally, removed from the marketing copy. So there are two ways this can play out: 1) they stopped winding them with the Leesona winder for a later production run, they will not want to admit outright that newly purchased SNS' will be "inferior" to an early production run. Or 2) they never wound any of them with the Leesona winder, they will not admit outright that their earlier marketing materials were mistaken, since customers might have purchases the SNS' on the basis that it had been wound with the Leesona winder.

Comment

Is the Leesona really an issue?

I'm of the mind that says, "If it sounds good to me, then it is good." Does it suits my needs? Is it good value for my money?

Really, that's all there is to it. Arguing materials, tech specs, wire and machines is meaningless.

Don't get caught up in minutia. Use your ears.

Bill
        When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

If the pickup sounds good, I don't care if it's wound with a kitchen blender..

Comment

True. If a pickup sounds good, it sounds good. However, I have to admit that the idea of it being wound on a machine with so much history has a certain amount of charm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Originally posted by The Commodores?
            "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

I can go along with the charm thing as well but we're not talking about a set of Throbaks or some other boutique winders pickups.
              Duncan is a modern manufacturer of pickups for a lot of companies as well as their own brand. If they have the recipe right then they should wind it in the most cost efficient
              way possible to maximize profits. I think the old Leesonas are cool but they are a dinosaur of a bygone era, modern automation has surpassed that technology 10 fold.
              You can create a new machine that eliminates a lot of the human error and you get repeat ability and a consistent tone and wind in your product.
              The Leesona thing is just more elitist BS. If Duncan wound all them on the Leesona the SNS would cost $350 a set instead of $200.
              I think this is all silliness about the winder and I don't know why the language was changed in the description but I think it was probably an honest mistake..

Comment

it is up to the people that spend their hard-earned money to decide what they spend it on and who they spend it with.

conversely, it seems that most people lack the presumption to tell other people what they should buy... which sounds fair.

Comment

Originally posted by Shooter.556 View Post
                  If Duncan wound all them on the Leesona the SNS would cost $350 a set instead of $200
                  Absolutely NOT TRUE.

FYI, the '59 is wound on the Leesona, just as all the other p'up models wound using Plain Enamel AWG#42 wire, including the Seth Lover and the Antiquity just from the top of my head, as the machine's been carefully setup for that one type of wire, that's being "bulk-ordered-to-spec", to ensure the same tonal footprint from batch to batch.

At one time it was used to this one task exclusively. As don't have any factual info on this being changed lately, I'm assuming it still is.

HTH,
                  Last edited by LtKojak; 10-21-2016, 06:14 AM.

Comment

I did ask for clarification on this. I haven't heard back yet. When I do, I will post it. To me, I don't know if being wound on a certain machine means much to me, personally. But I (like you) want to assure the ad copy is/was accurate.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      I did ask for clarification on this. I haven't heard back yet. When I do, I will post it.
                      Somehow, something tells me not to hold my breath waiting for it...

Comment

seems like that many of the customers that think a Leesona would matter would think so because the Duncan company told them it does, based off the marketing of models that include the 59 Model and the Seth Lover and the Antiquity and the Pearly Gates and the Skinner Burst and so on.

To me, I don't know if being wound on a certain machine means much to me, personally.
                        Agreed. whatever they were doing to the JB in the last 70s and in the 80s seemed to really work, and I don't think those were made on a Leesona.

also... in the time it took between when the SNS was announced and when it came out, I asked for an A4-based PAF set with that 70s vibe from Mojotone - I think I also provided DCR as a reference point. the A4 set they made me was totally made on a CNC and I find it to have a lot of superior qualities. we discussed how they used the CNC for that set at one point, and while it's nothing I'm going to openly share, I think they hit a home run without using a Leeona.

Comment

It does matter to me if MJ is winding it, and that would justify the increased cost. But the machine? No more than the table the machine is on, or the lightbulbs.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

It does matter to me if MJ is winding it, and that would justify the increased cost. But the machine? No more than the table the machine is on, or the lightbulbs.
                            Agreed. Very much so.

Even though it's been suggested that a machine like the Leesona would do all the work and one made by a production winder would be the same as one by MJ, it's just not the case.

Comment

seems like that many of the customers that think a Leesona would matter would think so because the Duncan company told them it does, based off the marketing of models that include the 59 Model and the Seth Lover and the Antiquity and the Pearly Gates and the Skinner Burst and so on.
                              Unlike some companies, I don't believe SD has ever attempted to describe how the Leesona winder actually influences the tone. They merely assert that it does, by boasting that they use it exclusively for various PAF reproduction models. It's sort of like how a naturopathic companies are careful not to promise too much, lest they get into legal trouble if they're ever put in the position of proving the assertion.

Comment

Is it painful going through life with that much pessimism?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Originally posted by The Commodores?
                                "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Working...
                                X