banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what would the result be if you added pickups over the strings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: what would the result be if you added pickups over the strings?

Originally posted by GoldenVulture View Post
    Adapt one of these. it's a VCR rotaing head. It already has connections between the static body and the head drum.
    You'd just have to mount a pickup on it some how. You'd end up with the bottom of it sticking through the back of the guitar, but WTF in the name of science !
    That is definitely a great idea except I think as thanaton points out the motor may be too close to the pickup resulting in emi noise. I am using a mechanical clock presently and it does spin the pickup but has only one speed. Next step is to get a rotating wire connection built. If the mechanical version yields something worthwhile I will move to a variable electric motor and from there perhaps to a 7.0L LS7.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
      Fluence (and all actives) occupy a 'side road' you could say. Its another method to get what we've been getting from passives (essentially) for the last 70 years.

The tone of electric guitar is set. Apart from what Tom Morello has done, the actual artistry side of the guitar hasn't altered much since the mid-late 60's.
      Fishman Fluence is just at the very early stages of what this technology is capable of.

Stacked PCB pickups are definitely not a side road even if they did not take the technology any further.

Think about it, the cost of building a stacked PCB pup vs a wound pup. Excluding amortization of NRE costs and putting current PCB cost on a learning curve I would guess their cost is would be less than 30% of what a wound pup costs.

Comment

The head drum already has some " head units " in it for retrieving the magnetic field off tape. I think you'll find the design of the motor and supporting system are such that noise is reduced to a minimum as to not affect the signal retrieval. These things are designed by engineers....
        sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
        - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

The guitar universe is unique. We don't believe in innovation/ progress. Take a look inside your tube amp for proof.

Comment

Even if the quest is to discover a new tone, why would anyone want to look like brain aneurysm on stage with that thing? The choice of pickups, wiring, pedals, amps is too overwhelming.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
              Even if the quest is to discover a new tone, why would anyone want to look like brain aneurysm on stage with that thing? The choice of pickups, wiring, pedals, amps is too overwhelming.
              Th, th, that's all folks. I been reported for making inappropriate comments. If this is kindergarten then enjoy but for me there are other forums that have adult members.

Comment

You can test how much emi you will pick up from the motor by just holding a connected pickup close to the spinning motor as though it were all mounted, and listening to the result.

I don't know much about the coil of a tape head, but I'd assume that it's low impedance compared to a guitar pickup, and therefore never nearly as susceptible to emi.

Comment

Originally posted by leevc5 View Post
                  Fishman Fluence is just at the very early stages of what this technology is capable of.

Stacked PCB pickups are definitely not a side road even if they did not take the technology any further.

Think about it, the cost of building a stacked PCB pup vs a wound pup. Excluding amortization of NRE costs and putting current PCB cost on a learning curve I would guess their cost is would be less than 30% of what a wound pup costs.
                  You have to remember that the most expensive part is apparently the AlNiCo pole pieces, and even the Fluences contain AlNiCo pole pieces, so there is a price floor that has essentially already been reached, for all intents and purposes. I think it requires a very particular player who is will to deal with batteries. There are a lot of on-board electronics that could be theoretically incorporated directly into a guitar, but the luxury of simply plugging in and forgetting about it, of keeping things simple, all the while achieving vintage correct tone, is just too perfect as it is for the vast majority of guitarists to pass up, regardless of cost.

I think the spinning pickup concept would appeal to "showman" guitarists who want to look a little goofy while creating a unique sound. It would not appeal to the mainstream. History has proven as much.

Comment

Th, th, that's all folks. I been reported for making inappropriate comments. If this is kindergarten then enjoy but for me there are other forums that have adult members.
                    Really ? What did you utter Dimarzio or something ?
                    sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
                    - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

• Re: what would the result be if you added pickups over the strings?

Th, th, that's all folks. I been reported for making inappropriate comments.
                      You? No way!

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
                        The guitar universe is unique. We don't believe in innovation/ progress. Take a look inside your tube amp for proof.
                        <-- Yes But U just Struck the Million Dollar Subject ~ Tube Amps . Aint Ever going to be Replaced a 100 years from Now ~ they happen to Land on the Very thing that works awesome B4 Solid state came out and We're way past that in Electronics . Tube Guitar Amplifiers are Here to Stay and Always will be no matter what technology comes forth . It's Almost like the Fate of Electron Tubes was to Evolve for the Sole Reason to be Used for Guitar Amplification .

Comment

Really ? What did you utter Dimarzio or something ?
                          <-- Another Good One : )

Comment

That is definitely a great idea except I think as thanaton points out the motor may be too close to the pickup resulting in emi noise. I am using a mechanical clock presently and it does spin the pickup but has only one speed. Next step is to get a rotating wire connection built. If the mechanical version yields something worthwhile I will move to a variable electric motor and from there perhaps to a 7.0L LS7.
                            Run a chain and 2 sprockets.

Comment

Blasphemer! Haha! The earth IS flat :P

Comment

Originally posted by KNUCKLHEAD View Post
                                <-- Yes But U just Struck the Million Dollar Subject ~ Tube Amps . Aint Ever going to be Replaced a 100 years from Now ~ they happen to Land on the Very thing that works awesome B4 Solid state came out and We're way past that in Electronics . Tube Guitar Amplifiers are Here to Stay and Always will be no matter what technology comes forth . It's Almost like the Fate of Electron Tubes was to Evolve for the Sole Reason to be Used for Guitar Amplification .
                                My Axe FX does the job pretty well for touring man. It's the same with synthesisers; the vintage stuff is expensive, unreliable and heavy....and sounds amazing. But while there is a market for it, innovation will out.

Please note the qualifying phrases "for touring" and "and sounds amazing" before someone boots me as well.

Edit: not to say that tube amps are unreliable, that was aimed at synths. My '69 Laney Supergroup is fine.
                                Last edited by Lysergene; 07-28-2016, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X