Aging nickel humbucker covers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aging nickel humbucker covers...

Here's a turorial. Not bad. Seems like a good intro although I'd probably go about it a little differently.

I'd probably use a Scotchbrite pad but I haven't done one yet so sandpaper might be OK.

I'd want to put more care into my scratches so they were oriented more like real pick wear and string wear.

This guy uses "etching fluid" from Radio Shack to dull and rust the whole cover and the polepieces.

Any other suggestions on aging nickel humbucker covers?

Last edited by Lewguitar; 07-26-2016, 02:11 PM.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Re: Aging nickel humbucker covers...

Ive always found less is more. There are very few who can age them to actually how real old ones look. I usually prefer to spend the dollars and get Throbak, as you know you are getting a superior shape and material into the bargain. ReWind also have got better with their vintage pulls covers technique.

Comment

Aging nickel humbucker covers...

I've tried sandpaper and ended up finishing with scotchbrite. I prefer the scotchbrite. I've only gotten that far as aging covers. Anything else, I'd agree with AlexR and just buy something already aged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by YeRedHouseOverYonder View Post
        I've tried sandpaper and ended up finishing with scotchbrite. I prefer the scotchbrite. I've only gotten that far as aging covers. Anything else, I'd agree with AlexR and just buy something already aged.

I agree. But I'm pretty detail oriented, good with tools and with my hands.

Built and designed high end custom furniture for about 30 years...been working on and rebuilding guitars since at least 1970...etc.

Gonna give it a shot.

I'll post pics of the results.

Comment

Sweet! Can't wait for the results.

Comment

I got an aged set from TW Doyle recently; they're vintage accurate and very nicely (lightly) relic'd. He usually lists them on Ebay as Doyle Coils Tru Clones covers. Tommy's the real deal, he made my first-ever set of custom-wound humbuckers back in the 70s.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

as part of a series I was doing last Fall, I ended up with aged covers from a few different companies.

one from ReWind, one from Mojotone, and one from Brandonwound. can't say what technique that each of them used, but they were all different and all very cool. I had never pursued an aged or a relic pickup, but that's the way they came to me. I like them all equally for their own reasons. not knowing how it's done, I find it to be a bit of an art form unto itself.

Comment

I can appreciate those who do it well- I have seen some Antiquities that were pieces of art. I've never had the desire to own an aged pickup, though.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  I can appreciate those who do it well- I have seen some Antiquities that were pieces of art. I've never had the desire to own an aged pickup, though.
                  Well my favorite guitars are well used with significant wear.

A shiny bright pickup cover looks out of place on them.

Comment

Simply dulling the cover as that guy does never seems right. I have some moderately old pickups ane they never get the dull all over look. There are always areas of shiny, plus some random marks here and there.

Comment

Aged parts are one of those "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" kinds of things. I never like the antiquities because they looked overdone to me. I like the Rewind stuff, specifically the closet classic style.

I also like the look of satin nickel and chrome, but those aren't very widespread.
                      “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

I recently came across an Antiquity JB. Looking forward to taking it for a spin. Like you, not interested in the aged appearance. Totally about how it sounds. A 59BJ I also recently found has the real aging of just being old. Still, being shiny like the old 58NJ it came with would have been preferred.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Duke View Post
                          Aged parts are one of those "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" kinds of things. I never like the antiquities because they looked overdone to me. I like the Rewind stuff, specifically the closet classic style.

I also like the look of satin nickel and chrome, but those aren't very widespread.
                          I do too. The Custom Shop Pearly Gates have that satin nickel finish. Looks good on a worn guitar but it's a mistmatch with a newish guitar.

Check out the wear on the Custom 22 I put them in. Worn right down the bare metal on the bass side of the bridge and although the guitar looks clean in a photo it's covered in little dings and scratches.

An aged cover would match better, although it looks fine with the raw nickel covers of the CS PG's.

My PRS SE Singlecut looks almost new though and shiny covers would probably be a better match than the CS PG's dull nickel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0688.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	5793812

Comment

Hello! I have a set of Seth Lover's in Gold. I want to convert them to aged nickle. Will the PCB etchant solution remove the gold also or should I polish it off first? Also, as long as I protect the guitar can I remove the covers without disconnecting them? Lastly how hot of iron should I use? Thanks for any advice you can give!

Comment

I am quoting my own post to say that years later, I now own an Eastman that came stock with Antiquites, and they are indeed, pieces of art. I still don't know if I'd put a relic in a shiny new guitar, but the Eastman is sort of 'aged' with aged Gotoh hardware and a violin shellac finish. The Antiquities fit right in, where a whiny new pickup wouldn't.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X