Dimarzio FRED and PAF JOE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimarzio FRED and PAF JOE

i have a gibson sg special that i'm looking to swap pickups in. i have an epi les paul that i dropped a jb/full shred-n set into and i think it sounds great. but i'm still not too sure about the full shred. anyway, i was watching this video of joe satriani playing "the extremist" on g3 '03 and i thought it sounded brillient. watching and hearing that made me wonder what his pickups would do for me. so has anybody tried either of them? any insight on these pickups is good (besides the stuff from dimarzio.com cause i already read that ).
    El Dangeroso

Current Rig:

Guitars:
    -Ibanez IC400 (Duncan Distortion and '59-n)
    -Gibson SG Special (Gibson 498t/490r)
    -Epiphone Les Paul Std. (Duncan JB/Full Shred-n)
    -Schecter Scorpion

Effects:
    -Morley Mark Tremonti Power Wah
    -MXR M-134 Stereo Chorus
    -Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor

Amps:
    -Mesa/Boogie Triple Rectifier head (6L6's)
    -Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 4x12 slant cab

Strings: Ernie Ball Slinkys
    -10-52 (Les Paul, SG, and Iceman)
    -12-56 (Scorpion)

Cables: Monster Cables

Re: Dimarzio FRED and PAF JOE

in the G3 2003 i doubt if he was using PAF JOE, i guess he was using PAF PRO and the Fred. But I may be wrong. PAF joe is a new pup.
    sigpic
    Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
    JFG Flying V,
    "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
    John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

Originally posted by Jocelyn
      in the G3 2003 i doubt if he was using PAF JOE, i guess he was using PAF PRO and the Fred. But I may be wrong. PAF joe is a new pup.
      Lately he's been using the Pearly Gates also...
      You'll need Satch's amp,effects,and his hands to really nail his tone...The pickups alone won't getcha there...
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
        Lately he's been using the Pearly Gates also...
        You'll need Satch's amp,effects,and his hands to really nail his tone...The pickups alone won't getcha there...
        I saw him G3 2004 and I'm pretty sure he was using the Paf Joe by then. His neck pup tone was tone of the night for me, but it's true you'll need more than just the pups
        My clips

Originally posted by Rid
        How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

im not trying to nail satch's sound perfectly, i just liked how he used the top strings on the intro for "the extremist". i do stuff like that a lot when i play and was never able to really make it pop out like he did. so i thought maybe the fred would help me. plus my gibson pickups are starting to bore me.
          El Dangeroso

Current Rig:

Guitars:
          -Schecter Scorpion

Effects:
          -MXR M-134 Stereo Chorus

Amps:

-12-56 (Scorpion)

Comment

I'd go with the Pearly Gates myself.
            Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Hey, I'm new here.

Back around when the Fred first came out I put one in a tele. Talk about shock! That was my first (and still only) higher output pickup. I think the Fred screams, very nicely. It is not just a "one trick pony" at all and can be very useful. I can't speak for the other pickups mentioned, but the fred is a useful and unique tool for me anyway.

Comment

Wow, I posted about the fred without realizing this was thread I wanted to ask my own question in, as I'm considering modding an SG also.

I have a faded SG. I thought about switching the pickups with a humbucker sized P-90 type and maybe a PAF type.

I'd "like" higher output just because it seems some of my effects benefit from it and that it would push my amps a little harder, but that isn't that important to me.

Humbuckers/single coil isn't that important to me, if anything I like single coils better.

As I look at all the choices we have here, is there any advice anyone could give about what I should be looking for or thinking about-- like willl I be surprised by string spacing issues or fit problems, and how about differences between pickup output, how much of a difference is too much?

Comment

any other theories?
                  El Dangeroso

Current Rig:

Guitars:
                  -Schecter Scorpion

Effects:
                  -MXR M-134 Stereo Chorus

Amps:

-12-56 (Scorpion)

Comment

in an SG I'd try pearly gates. That pair of dimarzios is probably going to sound completely opposite in that SG. Different scale, different wood, different bridge, etc. It's hard to predict until you actually try it.

Comment

Originally posted by Xeromus
                      in an SG I'd try pearly gates. That pair of dimarzios is probably going to sound completely opposite in that SG. Different scale, different wood, different bridge, etc. It's hard to predict until you actually try it.
                      I use a Fred in my Gibson SG...I Put a nickel cover on it and put regular screws in mine,replacing the allen screws....Sounds great in the bridge position and I have a Duncan 59 in the neck...

John
                      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

just curious how can you be sure what pickup he was using, short of walking up to him and asking. he could have used any pickup and he would still sound like joe satriani.
                        Cornford Hellcat
                        Peavey 5150 - Marshall 1960A cab

Ibanez 1994 Jem7VWH - Stock
                        Fender Strat - Fullshred/Duckbucker/lil59
                        Fender Strat - Jb Jr bridge + 2x Fender Single coils
                        Fender 1976 Precision Bass

http://www.youtube.com/user/BlueLightRideTV

Comment

Originally posted by BigBazz
                          just curious how can you be sure what pickup he was using, short of walking up to him and asking. he could have used any pickup and he would still sound like joe satriani.

ok, i'll give you that. but when was the last time you heard about satch using a guitar other then his signature ibanez's (which have Fred's in the bridge) and that red ibanez 7 string he used for some of the stuff from his latest album (speaking of that, what was he using in that? the Blaze?)
                          El Dangeroso

Current Rig:

Guitars:
                          -Schecter Scorpion

Effects:
                          -MXR M-134 Stereo Chorus

Amps:

-12-56 (Scorpion)

Comment

Originally posted by El Dangeroso
                            ok, i'll give you that. but when was the last time you heard about satch using a guitar other then his signature ibanez's (which have Fred's in the bridge) and that red ibanez 7 string he used for some of the stuff from his latest album (speaking of that, what was he using in that? the Blaze?)
                            if he did use another guitar in one of his many gigs that he plays, its hardly going to be broadcasted over the news that he has used a different guitar or different pickup, you cant really beleive that every artist only uses their signature model (if they have one) when they play, yes there is a likelyness and good probability that he would be using the signature guitar with fred pickups because thats what he is known for, but that does not guarentee he always uses them. its equally possible that he could have modded his guitar with non mass production custom wound pickups from Dimarzio or a smaller boutique type company or even possible that he uses seymour duncans. its kinda likethe thing where you look in a marshall amps catalogue and you see joes signature in there and he has a quote about how good marshall amps are or how he always uses them, yet he has a signature model out with peavey The Jsx.
                            Cornford Hellcat
                            Peavey 5150 - Marshall 1960A cab

Ibanez 1994 Jem7VWH - Stock
                            Fender Strat - Fullshred/Duckbucker/lil59
                            Fender Strat - Jb Jr bridge + 2x Fender Single coils
                            Fender 1976 Precision Bass

http://www.youtube.com/user/BlueLightRideTV

Comment

Working...
                            X