looking for a comparable pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for a comparable pickup

I am still looking for a bridge pickup to put in my '92 LPP standard. I'm replacing a Jackson j-50BC and I would like to take out the JE-1200 active mid boost circuit to get rid of battery hassles.

I was looking at the wrong stuff - I assumed it was a high output distortion pup, as I got into them through my old charvel model 4... But info on the jackson stuff is scarce. I did some old thread searching, and it seems that the j-50BC is a "vintage ceramic" model, somewhere in the vicinity of 8.6-8.7K resistance.

I'm looking for a similar drive level, but would like some clarity without adding brightness. I'm thinking A2, but I don't know squat about pickup specs. I thought maybe the Burstbucker 3, or maybe a custom shop seth lover, wound to 8.7 and potted.

I want uncovered, either black or double creme. Can I pull the covers off of the burstbuckers or seths? Do I need a higher resistance to keep the same output when changing from ceramic to A2?

Dan

Re: looking for a comparable pickup

The J-50 BC would be closest to a ´59 or Seth with a ceramic magnet, there is no production pickup from any company that effectively "captures" the tone of the mid-late ´80s Jackson Preamp/ PUP combos

Know also that removing the preamp will significantly lower the output of the pickup, you may find yourself buying a booster-pedal soon afterwards

I´d say that the JB or C-5 may get you on your way, but I´m pretty sure that you´d end up glad there´s a 21-day warranty that let´s you get a new one if you missed the first time

BTW, if you take out the J-50 and JE-1200, drop me a PM, I´ll take them off your hands for a fair price
    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Thanks - I have always had trouble trying to replace the jackson setup. I've done the Duncan Custom, Dimarzio Tone Zone, Super Distortion, and a couple of others. I think you're right - I may have underestimated the output that comes from the preamp. It seems that there is always a little boost, even with the boost rolled all the way back. I like some things about each pickup, but the boost makes leads soooo easy! I felt like I was struggling to play lead and cut through on rythym without the boost.

I always ended up putting the jackson set back in - and since I don't do the work myself, It's always costed me a ton. That's why I may just keep everything as is, and mess around with new pickups ina new guitar.

If I do take them out and leave them out, I will absolutely PM you. I'm surprised to find another fan of these. I have them in 4 guitars - LP, custom made one of a kind Chandler Explorer (awesome) a custom strat, and my Model 4. They do make my Marshall JCM900 (and before that) my solid state Marshall sound good. And I've never been in a "metal" band, just distorted 90's alternative stuff -

What do you put the Jackson stuff in? Are you doing metal, or other stuff?

Comment

My Preamps are all in Jacksons or Charvels of the appropriate era, except for one JE-1500 that I´ve got lying around as a spare. I use those, EMGs(@ 18v), or Duncans (predominantly Duncans). I´ve used Duncans with the preamp before as well, The Dimebucker blew everything away in my Model 6, but the original J90C is clearer and tighter. Albeit a bit duller, I may have to try the Distortion in that axe.

As far as what I use them for, check the clip in my signature
        Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Working...
        X