banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wiring gurus: Modding a Jazzmaster, help with grounding.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring gurus: Modding a Jazzmaster, help with grounding.

To the wiring gurus out there, I need some help with a Jazzmaster mod I am trying. I've merged the wiring schematics for a 2 humbucker, 2 volume, 2 tone layout with a phase reversal switch (the JM's DPTP switch for what is normally the rhythm circuit). In this case, the rhythm pickup is phase reversable (or should be, I should say).

My problem is that the schematics call for each pot (tone and volume) to have a ground coming from their third terminals, and normally I solder this to the back or side of the pots. Problem is that I can't get the solder to stick to the JM's 1M and 50k pots because of the type of metal.

My question: Can I just wire the two terminals together and then wire them to the common ground point (in this case I am using the stock ground point which is a wire that leads to one of the bridge studs)?

NB: I have wired up several guitars, but I am a complete novice when it comes down to it, so forgive me if I am using incorrect terms.
    Last edited by roadsleeper; 02-27-2005, 07:57 AM. Reason: To attract more attention...

Re: Wiring gurus: Modding a Jazzmaster, help with grounding.

Bump...

Comment

Hi road; Electrically speaking, the only "ground" thats truly important in a guitar, is the one on the output jack. Obviously, the electrical components, (pups, volume, tone, caps), must also be grounded, but you can connect everything there. Thats what I do.

Comment

Try sandpapering the back of those small sized 1M and 50K pots...
        Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
        When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
        Red Devils - 1% all the way!
        Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
        Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
          Hi road; Electrically speaking, the only "ground" thats truly important in a guitar, is the one on the output jack. Obviously, the electrical components, (pups, volume, tone, caps), must also be grounded, but you can connect everything there. Thats what I do.
          Hi ArtieToo, thanks for the reply! Does that mean I can actually just solder everything to the ground terminal on the jack and forgo soldering anything to the bridge grounding point?

Stratman - Thanks for the tip, great idea, I will give it a shot!

Comment

Originally posted by Stratman
            Try sandpapering the back of those small sized 1M and 50K pots...
            Bingo! That's one way to do it- I will usually scrape the back of the pot with a sharp stainless steel tool (Xcelite electrician's scissors to be exact). My feeling is that the scratches will help the solder stick to the pot better.

In any case, it is the coating on the metal that keeps the solder from sticking properly and however you remove the coating it will work much better.

--Thanks!
            Steve Ahola

The Blue Guitar:
            http://www.blueguitar.org/

SoundClick Page:
            http://www.soundclick.com/steveahola

Comment

Originally posted by roadsleeper
              Hi ArtieToo, thanks for the reply! Does that mean I can actually just solder everything to the ground terminal on the jack and forgo soldering anything to the bridge grounding point?
              Not exactly. If there's a wire that comes from the bridge, you still want to ground that. Its just that you can use the negative terminal of the output jack, rather than the back of the pot, if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
                Not exactly. If there's a wire that comes from the bridge, you still want to ground that. Its just that you can use the negative terminal of the output jack, rather than the back of the pot, if you want.
                Great, that's what I needed to know! Thanks a billion, you rock!

Comment

Just wanted to let those of you who pitched in with help, I finished up rewiring the ol' JM and it worked! No buzz, no hum and the phase reversal works! Unfortunately, the pickups are the stock MIJ JM single coils, so they're on the (really, really) weak side... Hmmm... the SD JM Quarter Pounders are looking mighty tempting now! Anyway thanks again all!

Comment

Originally posted by roadsleeper
                    Just wanted to let those of you who pitched in with help, I finished up rewiring the ol' JM and it worked! No buzz, no hum and the phase reversal works! Unfortunately, the pickups are the stock MIJ JM single coils, so they're on the (really, really) weak side... Hmmm... the SD JM Quarter Pounders are looking mighty tempting now! Anyway thanks again all!
                    I put SD Quarter Pounders in my Jaguar - Lot's of volume and tone

I put HD P-90's in my Jazzmaster - Lot's of volume and some tone, not the best
                    Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

Did you have any routing issues with putting the P-90's into the jazzmaster??? Did they fit into the PU covers???

Comment

Originally posted by ryhonkus
                        Did you have any routing issues with putting the P-90's into the jazzmaster??? Did they fit into the PU covers???
                        I purchased a new pick-guard for it, but the dimensions are identical...

HD-90 pups are made to fit.

Comment

Working...
                        X