Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 way super switch wiring help..

Hello.

I'm trying to wire my custom 24 se with a 5 way super switch and I found this one wiring schematic out of many combos that I actually wanted to use. Well, 4 out of 5 positions I wanted.. schematic is for bridge series, bridge split inner slug coil, both single colils (inner?), outer screw coil neck and series neck.
    1 volume 1 tone. Now I only want to change second position from bridge slug split to bridge parallel.
    Is this possible and which wires should I re-arrange to achieve this.
    I would really, really appreciate any help.
    Attached Files

5 way super switch wiring help..

Hi Igornopolis, and welcome to the forum!

I went ahead and made you a diagram based on the one you showed with position 2 being Bridge parallel instead of bridge split. Just so you're aware, the original diagram is not inner coils for position 3, but rather "upper" coils (inner bridge & outer neck). This puts the bridge North coil with the neck South coil (magnetically, not like looking at a map), thus making position 3 hum-canceling. I did the same thing in this diagram.

Also, just as in the diagram you provided, I used Seymour Duncan pickups for the color coding. If your pups AREN'T S-Ds, then you may need to find out which color wires are North Start, North Finish, South Finish, and South Start for your pickups.

Let me know if you have any questions, and ESPECIALLY let us know how your project comes out! [emoji2][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by The Commodores?
    "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Re: 5 way super switch wiring help..

Originally posted by BriGuy1968 View Post
      Hi Igornopolis, and welcome to the forum!

I went ahead and made you a diagram based on the one you showed with position 2 being Bridge parallel instead of bridge split. Just so you're aware, the original diagram is not inner coils for position 3, but rather "upper" coils (inner bridge & outer neck). This puts the bridge North coil with the neck South coil (magnetically, not like looking at a map), thus making position 3 hum-canceling. I did the same thing in this diagram.

Also, just as in the diagram you provided, I used Seymour Duncan pickups for the color coding. If your pups AREN'T S-Ds, then you may need to find out which color wires are North Start, North Finish, South Finish, and South Start for your pickups.

Let me know if you have any questions, and ESPECIALLY let us know how your project comes out! [emoji2][emoji1303]

Oh wowww... thanks so much good sir!!! Briguy, you are awesome I constantly read this forum, for years now actually and I see a lot of your posts and other vets on the forum and you guys are insightfull and passionate bunch of guys! A custom diagram for me ))))

Anyhow, I've got a new suhr thornbucker neck and mojotone sledgehammer in the bridge which use duncan colors. I have them wired with duncan triple shots now but one of the rings went bad and I really wanted to simplify on fly switching with a 5 way. I find parallel much more usable with a high output hum in the bridge even though the sledgehammer fails to impress in either single coil mode or parallel. My BG Hellabucker in my prs Tremonti with Duncan triple shots on the other hand is incredible with a slug coil or parallel but just ok in series unlike the Mojotone which is a special bucker with high gain full on series.
      For the neck, in a 24 fret guitar, I find split coil to north/screw to be very strat like and beautiful for cleans, at least with buckers like Suhr ssv, Duncan jazz, Manlius landmark for example. 22 fretters to slug coil for similar effect. I'm just babbling now...
      I am glad to hear that position 3 will be hum canceling with north coils on
      Thank you sir!!!!!!!!!!!! A million!!!!! I will report with results.

Comment

Hey Brian, I got a follow up question before I get soldering tonight..

So Mojotone uses the same color scheme as Duncan but the south/north polarity looks to be different. I've attached an image. Im a bit confused because Mojotone follows the same pattern with white/red taped off, green to ground, black is hot but it's different as far as polarity goes. And I dont know if "polarity" is the right term but you probably know what I mean. So do I just follow the north/south color scheme the way your diagram shows and just flip the colors accordingly? I wouldnt want to end up with the thincan sound in what should already be thin and quacky third position.
        I do appreciate your time
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Igornopolis View Post
          Hey Brian, I got a follow up question before I get soldering tonight..

So Mojotone uses the same color scheme as Duncan but the south/north polarity looks to be different. I've attached an image. Im a bit confused because Mojotone follows the same pattern with white/red taped off, green to ground, black is hot but it's different as far as polarity goes. And I dont know if "polarity" is the right term but you probably know what I mean. So do I just follow the north/south color scheme the way your diagram shows and just flip the colors accordingly? I wouldnt want to end up with the thincan sound in what should already be thin and quacky third position.
          I do appreciate your time
          Still use the colors from the diagram. This is a case of the orientation changing instead of polarity. The polarity is the most important part when it comes to making the two pickups hum-canceling. However, now the North coil will be on the bottom (outside) in the bridge rather than the top (inside). Probably won't make a huge difference, but if you want it to go back to the way it shows on my diagram, just flip the pickup around when installing it, thus changing the orientation.

Comment

I got it now. Thank you!!!

Comment

Brian, Are you sure your diagram is correct? It looks like the bridge pup is split in switch position #2. Unless the red wire from the bridge pup is connected to lug #4 on the lower left bank of switch lugs...I can't tell for sure from your diagram if the red wire is just passing over that lug or actually connected to it on its way to lug #5 of the upper right bank. If it's connected, it's correct.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                Brian, Are you sure your diagram is correct? It looks like the bridge pup is split in switch position #2. Unless the red wire from the bridge pup is connected to lug #4 on the lower left bank of switch lugs...I can't tell for sure from your diagram if the red wire is just passing over that lug or actually connected to it on its way to lug #5 of the upper right bank. If it's connected, it's correct.
                I'm at work right now, so kind of hard to double-check, but I'll be sure to look tonight after work. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                  It IS connected to #4, not just passing over it... but I can see what you mean about how it looks like it isn't. I'll have to be sure to make stuff like that more apparent on future diagrams.

Still... thanks for checking my work! It's NEVER a bad thing to have another set of eyes take a peek... especially when they're attached to a brain that has your experience!

Comment

I totally agree. So many times I get stuck knocking my head against a wall when all it took was a different pair of eyes to point out the obvious mistake I made. Like you, I'm always appreciative of being "corrected" if I have made a mistake.

But in this case, it appears that you didn't make a mistake. I was just needing some clarification on your work. Great diagram.

Thanks, you make a lot of very good contributions to this forum.
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

This is the exact question I was about to post regarding the contact on B4 junction and I refreshed the page and saw the replies. I am all clear now. Finally got the time to solder things up. Thanks guys!!

Comment

This is what makes this place the most informative and generouse guitar forum out there.

Kudos to BG and GD and all the other folks that contribute. I learn something every day.

Muchas gracias, Will

Comment

All done. Try to ignore those savage looking solder joints.... They always hold their own though so I must be doing something right. Thanks again for all the help Brian. No way I would figure this out on my own as my comprehension of this stuff is still very cloudy. This forum is badass.
                          Attached Files

Comment

SWEET! How's it sound?

Comment

Sounds great! Exactly what I intended

Comment

Working...
                              X