Looking for a middle pup to match old SD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a middle pup to match old SD

I have an old Seymour Duncan bridge and neck pup. The only identifying markings are the letters 3R on a small white piece of paper on the bottom. What are these equivalant to today? I need to find a replacement for the middle pup. Originally they were installed as a set of 3 and functioned so that the inbetween postion of bridge and middle acted like a humbucker which I didn't like.

Re: Looking for a middle pup to match old SD

what you have is an SSL-3 "Hot"...if you get a full set the middle pickup is RW/RP so that positions 2 and 4 are humbucking...if you want a good match, and you do not want the humbucking effect in the notch positions get another SSL-3 but get a neck model and put it in the middle.
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Thanks. Long story short I currently have the old bridge pup in the mid postion. I left the neck pup at the neck position and installed a new SSL-3 hot start in the bridge so I could get the quack back. This worked but I get no hum cancelling in positions 2 and 4. Shouldn't I get a mid SSL-3 for the mid postion? Why another neck pup?

Comment

Originally posted by JRain
        Thanks. Long story short I currently have the old bridge pup in the mid postion. I left the neck pup at the neck position and installed a new SSL-3 hot start in the bridge so I could get the quack back. This worked but I get no hum cancelling in positions 2 and 4. Shouldn't I get a mid SSL-3 for the mid postion? Why another neck pup?

An SSL-3 middle is RW/RP and is humbucking, you said you did not like that...that's the only difference between a neck and middle SSL-3...
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Thanks. I guess since I have the old bridge in the middle now I have already got it configured close to the way you sugested. I have another strat that has the sound I like at positions 2 and 4 (the classic strat inbetween pup sound) but it also cuts out noise. THe way Ive set up guitar I'm working on it too has the same classic inbetween sound that I like but doesn't cut any noise. Is there another mid pickup that would maintain the classic inbetween sound and cut noise and work with the SSL-3 neck and bridge pups I already have?

Comment

Originally posted by JRain
            Thanks. I guess since I have the old bridge in the middle now I have already got it configured close to the way you sugested. I have another strat that has the sound I like at positions 2 and 4 (the classic strat inbetween pup sound) but it also cuts out noise. THe way Ive set up guitar I'm working on it too has the same classic inbetween sound that I like but doesn't cut any noise. Is there another mid pickup that would maintain the classic inbetween sound and cut noise and work with the SSL-3 neck and bridge pups I already have?

An SSL-1 is a real good "all around" classic sounding Strat pickup.

Comment

Thanks for all the help. I'm going to look into putting an SSL-1 in the mid.

Comment

Working...
              X