X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage guitar feedback prob

Hello ,

I got a problem with my vintage welson 335
    The pickups have a lot of feedback when I try to use it on my marshall stack , I guess the high output pickups from the early days canīt cope a modern marshall sound.
    I have rewired the whole thing , but the problem is still the same
    I am thinking about waxing the pickups , does anybody have experience with this because itīs an early 70īs guitar and I donīt want to mess it up .

Another option is asking SD to rewire the pickups ?

Thanx in advance

Johnny

ps the guitar Iīm talking about looks just like this ;
    This one goes to eleven (Spinal Tap)
    And always remember the last words of my father ; "A Truck" (Emo Philips)

Re: Vintage guitar feedback prob

Wow . . . cool guitar . . . but nine knobs! Are you sure one of those isn't the feedbackulator.

Seriously though, hopefully Lew will check in. He's got a pretty good waxing technique. And, welcome to the forum.

(What do all those knobs do?)

Comment

Well to start ;

the switch above is called , wild/solo when you switch to solo you activate the 2 volume knobs directly under the switch

When you are in the wild mode the 2volume and 2tone knobs under the trem are working (so you can change volume between rithem and solo in the same pickup configuration)

Then you have also a mono stereo switch just below the trem?? I donīt know what is does , I gues for 2 amps and a stereo cable , it has a stereo jack in-plug

Then in front below is the pickup selector neck-neck/bridge-bridge

It has a really high gain output and a great sound .

I got it several years ago when I was 12 or so for free from a old guy in the neighbourhood , he was an uncle from a young drummer I rehearsed with , and when we cleaned his garage , we got it from him to rehearse but it was a real mess , I found this guitar dismantelled in a plastic bag . I asked him about it and he said he used to play years ago and I could keep it . So I cleaned it carefully and screwed everything back together. I even have the tremarm , the guitar on the side his tremarm is missing

I donīt know if it is worth a lot , I just like to play it . It has a really nice neck . I donīt take it with me on stage , because of the feadback trouble. Thatīs why I want to solve it . Iīve used it on several cd recordings directly into the mixing table and the sound is great . But live is this a problem , I already use 4 mixing channels for guitar (stereo electric and stereo accoustic)
      And also I have feedback from the monitoring on stage

Johnny

ps thanx for welcoming me

pps If anybody has a clue what it could be worth , I would really like to know
      Last edited by zonniewiw; 02-28-2005, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Point 1) Stand back form the Marchall. Gain down, Volume up. Should sound better and give you less feedback.

Point 2) Are you come sort of genius? Cos it looks like you'd need a PhD to be able to work that guitar
        Colossians 1:15

Originally posted by Gr8Scott
        I absolutely have no doubt that Aceman has a glitter covered pony head on a stick that he occasionally saddles and rides around his office in full aceman regalia screaming like a cowboy on a meth binge just because the mood strikes him.

Comment

Point 1) Stand back form the Marchall. Gain down, Volume up. Should sound better and give you less feedback.

Tried it but the front monitors also deliver feedback

Point 2) Are you come sort of genius? Cos it looks like you'd need a PhD to be able to work that guitar

You should see my pedalboard , I think I might try one of those psychiatrists ;-)

Johnny

Gear ;

1 X Welson 335 pacific
          2 x Hand made electric guitars SD pickups (hot strat live wire HSS)
          1 X LAG electric guitar SD pickups (hot strat live wire HSS)
          1 X Aria 12 string accoustic (Piëzo)
          1 X Stagg 6 string accoustic (Piëzo)

Stack
          Marshall jmp1
          Marshall 9200
          TC Electronics G-force
          Alesis Quadraverb 2
          Marshall 4 X 12" Cabinets

Pedalboard ;

Novels Midi Footcontroller MF-2
          (4 inserts expression pedals , 4 inserts relais for switching amps all in use)
          4 X Expression pedals (volume , expression , tap delay , reverb hold)
          1 X JD Cry Baby
          2 X DOD switch boxes
          (A talkbox , Iīm gonna order in a few weeks)
          Last edited by zonniewiw; 03-01-2005, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X