Epiphone sg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epiphone sg

So, I decided what the heck I have bunch of money saved up from not buying anything from past month or two so I might as well buy something. I decided since I always wanted a SG type guitar and my friends epi sg sounds pretty good I will buy one. My band will start playing shows soon and I want a guitar to use that I am not afraid to ding up and for 200 bucks these guitars look pretty sweet. So, I play rythm guitar in a Post Hardcore/Punk/Screamo type band, very punk oriented so there is alot of palm muting. I want a pickup that will go well in the bridge of a SG type guitar that will also sound good doing other stuff. I was thinking of JB but I wanted to see what the forum brothers had up their sleeves. Thanks for the feedback in advance.

Fender MIM Strat (Hot Rails)
    Squier P-Bass
    Hamer Standard (import)

Re: Epiphone sg

I have a JB in mine, I wouldn't want anything else!

Comment

If you want to get something a little better, check Ebay, sometimes you can find Gibby SG-Xs for as little as $300 or so. All mahogany and a real Gibby.

Comment

Seriously, if you're going for an Epi SG, make sure you grab the newest models from China plant. They are a big notch over the korean ones, in particular Samick-made ones.

The body contour is much more pronounced and *sharp* (ala Gib' 61), the color is more period-correct, the fretboard inlays look less cheap, and body wood looks way (beautiful grain) and better quality. And the tone is there! I'd say almost 92% of a real, good sounding Gibson.

Seriously, I had an older G400 that I never really liked, I didnt care for Epis.. but now, those chinese SG's are incredible. Check out the chinese 335 DOT... another very nice guitar for the money, and again, better than its korean counterpart.

Thumbs up for Epi China !
        Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

Originally posted by Thames
          Seriously, if you're going for an Epi SG, make sure you grab the newest models from China plant. They are a big notch over the korean ones, in particular Samick-made ones.

The body contour is much more pronounced and *sharp* (ala Gib' 61), the color is more period-correct, the fretboard inlays look less cheap, and body wood looks way (beautiful grain) and better quality. And the tone is there! I'd say almost 92% of a real, good sounding Gibson.

Seriously, I had an older G400 that I never really liked, I didnt care for Epis.. but now, those chinese SG's are incredible. Check out the chinese 335 DOT... another very nice guitar for the money, and again, better than its korean counterpart.

I'll keep that in mind, I also saw that they have it in vintage white now? Pretty sweet, I bet it would looks hot in vintage white.

Squier P-Bass
          Hamer Standard (import)

Comment

Originally posted by Thames

+1

Moving the factory to china was a good move. I have a new Epi les paul made their, and its almost hard to tell the difference between that and a gibson.

A lot of those post-hardcore bands, like Thrice, Strike Anywhere (if thats what you were after) use the Duncan Distortion. I don't have any experience with it myself, but from the sounds of it, it might be just what you're after.

For a more versatile set-up... Jb & and Jazz. That will cover ALL of your bases
            chimaeraSUN
            Ernie Ball MusicMan Y2D (Dimarzio Steve Morse Bridge/Neck)
            Washburn WI200PRO (SD Custom Custom/'59)
            Ovation 1778-T Blue Flames
            1989 Charvel Spectrum (Tone Zone S/Area 61/Air Norton)

Line 6 HD147
            Crybaby 535Q
            Digitech Whammy
            Boss HR-2/LS-2/AC-2

Comment

In your case the JB would be a great choice. Will do anything. Even the cleans are great.
              I use a C5 for post hardcore and prefer it over the JB because of the bigger bottom end. My ultimate pickup would be somewhere inbetween those two.

The JB sounds more modern and the C5 more 'vintage' if that makes any sense.

Thrice uses Dimarzio Super Distortions and JB's as far as I know. But they seem to change gear a lot. Can't wait for the new album!

Comment

I guess I made my choice, a chinese g310 with a jb in the bridge should be a decent do the job guitar for what Im trying to achieve. I was going to try a distortion or a invader in my hamer but I might go get a distortion in a month or so. I am going to try and get the epi this friday IF they have it in stock if not im gonna have to wait a good 2 weeks.

Squier P-Bass
                Hamer Standard (import)

Comment

Working...
                X