What cap. values do you guys use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What cap. values do you guys use?

I need to buy some conductor wire and pickguard screws, so I figured I'd pick up some Orange drops for all my guitars. I think I have .022 in all of them. Just wondering what you guys use with humbuckers and split 'buckers? Any suggestions?
    Last edited by big_black; 02-28-2005, 08:18 PM.

Re: What cap. values do you guys use?

Keep some .015 .022 .033 and .047s on hand...Experiment..
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I think I will, they are cheap enough. I just wanted to get some opinions on the caps people like.

Comment

I just swapped my Strat ( HSS), Tele and Lp Jr to .01 caps in both the bridge and neck positions. Man I love it!! The .022 were just too bright and had more sizzle than I like. The swap did wonders for my P90 in the 56 LP, really nice open and clear. Definately worth experimenting with, you can really alter the sound of your axe for both good and bad. Cool atuff for sure.
        ]
        FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
        http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

I have .022 Orange Drops in my LP Standard and Strat and get along fine with them. My LP Classic has the stock caps, not sure what they are, probably .022s also.

Comment

What are some examples of stock cap values in some popular guitars?
            There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless—boys and women, and I am neither one

Comment

Originally posted by Johtosotku
              What are some examples of stock cap values in some popular guitars?
              .02 or .022 seem to be the most popular values we see today. It's right in the middle of the other values.
              Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by kevlar3000
                I just swapped my Strat ( HSS), Tele and Lp Jr to .01 caps in both the bridge and neck positions. Man I love it!! The .022 were just too bright and had more sizzle than I like. The swap did wonders for my P90 in the 56 LP, really nice open and clear. Definately worth experimenting with, you can really alter the sound of your axe for both good and bad. Cool atuff for sure.
                Are you sure you got those values right? A .022 is twice the capacitance of a .01, and will remove more high end - not less. Ergo, the .01 should be considerably brighter. Any chance that you actually used a .1uf?

Comment

.047 are too muddy. .022 sounds pretty good. I tried .010 in my strat, and found that I liked it even better than .022.
                  This machine kills fascists

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
                    Are you sure you got those values right? A .022 is twice the capacitance of a .01, and will remove more high end - not less. Ergo, the .01 should be considerably brighter. Any chance that you actually used a .1uf?
                    I wasn't gonna go there Artie,but that info is opposite....The bigger cap shunts less highs to ground and allows more lows and mids to stay within the circuit...Also the smaller cap takes longer to roll the highs away as you roll from 10 to 0....I wasn't going to say anything,but I just did...

Comment

Hmmm . . . I don't think so.

The formula is T=RC. As R and C get larger, so does the time constant. Frequency is the reciprocal of time, so it gets lower. For example, using a 500k pot:

500k x .02uf = .01
                      the reciprocal of .01 = 100hz.

500k x .01uf = .005
                      1 / .005 = 200hz

The .02 cap will drop the turnover point of the high filter down to 100 hz from 200 hz - ergo, more highs shunted to ground.

I think.

Comment

Working...
                      X