Does anyone like...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone like...

Is there anyone who actually likes Gibson Humbuckers? (I.E. 490, 500T, Burstbuckers, 57 classic, etc.)

I mean, Gibson did invent the humbucker, but that's pretty much it.
    I own several gibson guitars, and I've replaced the pickups in all of them (with Duncans, mind you).
    Gibson pickups really cover up tone, and they sound thin, weak, and just plain nasty, IMO.

Any takers?
    This space is for rent.

Re: Does anyone like...

I like the 496R/500T set.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
      I like the 496R/500T set.

What do you like about it?
      This space is for rent.

Comment

Hmmm... the 496 had that Air Norton, hot-but-smooth neck pickup thing going, and the 500 is very abrasive. Not the most versatile pickup, but still better than anybody else's stocks.

While I did like them, I didn't have them a long time, as I ended up trading for an EMG 81/85 set.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I've posted and discussed this topic before. To hit the high points:
          1. everybody has preferences based on style and personal taste
          2. Gibson made a bunch of buckers that do pretty well for most people for most styles
          3. I'm never giving up my 480 neck pup in my 79' Paul. And that was a fairly crappy year in the land of Gibson!

I've seen people here in the forum who like 500T's and some people who have went from JB's back to 490/98's in SG's often, for some reason. Some people like Invaders for metal, some Distortions and some Pearly Gates. They all work. And some like 500T's. It's a strange thing between the guitar, the amp, the style and the player. I've played Gibsons with stock pups that were great. But if I were trying to overdrive an old Marshall, I'd need something hotter. Or, if I were a Jazzer, something fatter.

I think the best thing is to figure out what it is you need more of in terms of bass/mid/treble/presence, and output, and then figure out why you aren't getting it. For example, those all Mahogony Pauls are gonna sound dark no matter what. A really trebly pickup would likely just sound shrill, but still dark (yuk!). A Custom, on the other hand, is a fairly bright creature with the maple cap and ebony board. As for Hot enough, most amps today can melt your face off with a single coil. You don't need a flaming hot pup to scorch. See some postings on the Dimebucker and Screamin' Demon.

If I pulled a random Duncan out of a hat and dropped it in your Paul, you might think that sucked too, if it wasn't what you are into. And Duncan makes a lot of pups! Gibson makes only a few. And I hear a lot of good things about the burstbuckers out here. And the Dirty Fingers seems to be a fave of many people - and is again available.

So, In Conclusion: There is not only a better pup out there somewhere that is your kabala/holy grail-of-all-that-is-tone, but there is probably a better axe too. And that same pup/guitar combo is someone the ultimate turd-tone humsucker and plank-o-crapcaster.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman
            I've posted and discussed this topic before. To hit the high points:
            1. everybody has preferences based on style and personal taste
            2. Gibson made a bunch of buckers that do pretty well for most people for most styles
            3. I'm never giving up my 480 neck pup in my 79' Paul. And that was a fairly crappy year in the land of Gibson!

I've seen people here in the forum who like 500T's and some people who have went from JB's back to 490/98's in SG's often, for some reason. Some people like Invaders for metal, some Distortions and some Pearly Gates. They all work. And some like 500T's. It's a strange thing between the guitar, the amp, the style and the player. I've played Gibsons with stock pups that were great. But if I were trying to overdrive an old Marshall, I'd need something hotter. Or, if I were a Jazzer, something fatter.

I think the best thing is to figure out what it is you need more of in terms of bass/mid/treble/presence, and output, and then figure out why you aren't getting it. For example, those all Mahogony Pauls are gonna sound dark no matter what. A really trebly pickup would likely just sound shrill, but still dark (yuk!). A Custom, on the other hand, is a fairly bright creature with the maple cap and ebony board. As for Hot enough, most amps today can melt your face off with a single coil. You don't need a flaming hot pup to scorch. See some postings on the Dimebucker and Screamin' Demon.

If I pulled a random Duncan out of a hat and dropped it in your Paul, you might think that sucked too, if it wasn't what you are into. And Duncan makes a lot of pups! Gibson makes only a few. And I hear a lot of good things about the burstbuckers out here. And the Dirty Fingers seems to be a fave of many people - and is again available.

So, In Conclusion: There is not only a better pup out there somewhere that is your kabala/holy grail-of-all-that-is-tone, but there is probably a better axe too. And that same pup/guitar combo is someone the ultimate turd-tone humsucker and plank-o-crapcaster.

I agree with you, man,

I was just wondering because I've always got the same sound from Gibson Pickups and wanted to know if it was just me or something.

Maybe it's just me! haha.
            This space is for rent.

Comment

I think I agree with you in general, however, I did hear a Les Paul with Burstbuckers that sounded really good. I have a les Paul with 57 classics on it and I don't like those. If I keep the guitar I will most likely change the pickups.

Comment

i'm a big fan of the iommi pickup, pity about the prices of the gibson pups though
                chimaeraSUN
                Ernie Ball MusicMan Y2D (Dimarzio Steve Morse Bridge/Neck)
                Washburn WI200PRO (SD Custom Custom/'59)
                Ovation 1778-T Blue Flames
                1989 Charvel Spectrum (Tone Zone S/Area 61/Air Norton)

Line 6 HD147
                Crybaby 535Q
                Digitech Whammy
                Boss HR-2/LS-2/AC-2

Comment

Well...I think that the Burstbuckers are ok, but I think that Seth's or Antiquitys are better and both cost less. I think that the Iommi's are cool, and I have a set in one of my guitars but they sold for $199.95 EACH when they came out and that is just crazy...I bought mine at a GC sale and got the set for WAY less than $400.00, I do like P-9o's and I really wish I owned a guitar that had P-90's in it! For what I play and for the tones I hear in my head, Duncans just have the sound. I don't like DiMarzio's, and I do not like EMG's, I don't like most stock or aftermarket Fender pickups either. I hav not tried a lot of other pickup brands because I have always felt so good about my Duncan's.
                  If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I think the Burstbuckers are very nice pickups. Definatly pickups that are capable of very nice tone.

I thought the 498 was also a nice pickup. I used it for a long time in my Studio. The only reason I swapped out the 490/498 set in the LP was because I hated the 490R. Way too muddy in the neck of an LP (although, I did think it sounded much better in an SG). The 498 was very versatile and I was able to get some very pleasant tones out of it.
                    Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

I have an LP with a Jazz/JB combo and recently bought an SG with the 490/490 configuration. At first I thought I would change to Duncans, but the more I hear the SG, the more I like it. It has a very biting tone that the LP can't replicate, and the PAF output of the 490t is great for cleaner tones. The 490r is also very good for creamy leads. At home I hear a lot more clarity from the Duncans, but I like the SG better in band situations - it just fits my style perfectly. I still love the LP and it's great to have variety.

Comment

Working...
                      X