Rio Tex/BBQ humbuckers in a LP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rio Tex/BBQ humbuckers in a LP

Any feedback on Rio's Texas / BBQ humbucker set in a LesPaul? Sounds closest to what Seymour's?
    Last edited by dcchristy; 03-01-2005, 03:08 PM.
    1965 Strat - stock
    1995 Strat - Rio Grande pups
    1979 Les Paul Std.-"KM" - PG-N /C5-B
    Johnson JM60 amp

Re: Rio Tex/BBQ humbuckers in a LP

Originally posted by dcchristy
    Any feedback on Rio's Texas / BBQ humbucker set in a LesPaul? Sounds closest to what Seymour's?
    I had a BBQ in my Les Paul and it was thick as hell as well as a little dark sounding, actually to me it was very dark sounding but that is a subjective thing so I went middle of the road in my description. The BBQ does not sound like any of the SD pickups I have tried, it has it's own sound.

Comment

I havent ever tried the texas but I really the BBQ its sounded great in every guitar I've put it in. I do agree it isnt a very bright pickup but to me thats a big plus... I also agree SD doesnt really have anything in the lineup like it...
      "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
      you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

It sound thick and has some serious punch in an LP! Lots of midrange punch!

Comment

I'm not sure how much they sound like a BBQ/Texas set from Rio, but CC/59 set sounds pretty thick and toneful in a Paul. My two main Pauls are C-5/59 and CC/Seth
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Some say the CC won't do high gain tight rhythm well but lots of guys do it!

I know a guy who tried the CC and ended up using the Burstbucker Pros for the same type of high gain music I play. That tells me the C-5 would still be better for my high gain style.

Comment

The Texas is somewhat in the ballpark of the '59, but there is no Duncan that's similar to the BBQ. The CC has much less low end and a bit more midrange than the BBQ, while being slightly higher in output.

Ryan
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Is the texas good for cleans? I have a custom overwound alnico 2 pro that sounds good but I heard it wont match if I buy a BBQ so I may get the Texas or maybe a Bastard p-90. Any thoughts?
                My bands links:

PEDL
                www.myspace.com/pedlmusic

TREBLE BLEED
                www.myspace.com/treblebleed

KLINK
                www.myspace.com/klinkdetroit

Comment

I have a BBQ/Alnico 2 Pro setup in my Hamer, they match up just fine.

Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by rspst14
                    I have a BBQ/Alnico 2 Pro setup in my Hamer, they match up just fine.

Ryan
                    Is that a better set up than the Texas in the neck which can be tubby and too fat. Thanks!

Comment

The Alnico 2 Pro is my favorite neck pickup of all-time, so it made sense to match it up with a bridge pickup that was a bit warmer sounding. Both pickups have a nice bass response, and my opinion is that the Alnico 2 Pro has more mids than the tone chart shows, but not quite as much as the BBQ. Both pickups have warm, sweet highs. So it's pretty easy to find one amp setting that brings out the best in both pickups.

Ryan

Comment

I took the BBQ out of my Epi LP. It was too dark, too much low end, (and too little high), and didn't have enough articulation for me. Good sounding pup, but just not for me. I replaced it with a JB and can't be happier. On the other hand I have a Texas in the neck and its probably never leaving. GREAT sounding pup, articulate, smooth, great harmonics, just sings.....!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff5
                          I took the BBQ out of my Epi LP. It was too dark, too much low end, (and too little high), and didn't have enough articulation for me. Good sounding pup, but just not for me. I replaced it with a JB and can't be happier. On the other hand I have a Texas in the neck and its probably never leaving. GREAT sounding pup, articulate, smooth, great harmonics, just sings.....!
                          I would think the JB would be thin by comparison.

Comment

Working...
                          X