Strangest Pickup Known To Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strangest Pickup Known To Man

Whats the most unusual pickup you guys have ever heard? I don't mean in the sense of a poor sounding pickup, but one with a really unique tone thats unlike any pickup on the market. Sortof like the way the Eddie Van Halen's old pickup sounded really different and nobody knew how to get that sound until the great guys at SD brought out the '78 model
    Richard

Free Shred Guitar Lessons
    Marshall Mods

Re: Strangest Pickup Known To Man

Originally posted by shredaholic
    Whats the most unusual pickup you guys have ever heard? I don't mean in the sense of a poor sounding pickup, but one with a really unique tone thats unlike any pickup on the market. Sortof like the way the Eddie Van Halen's old pickup sounded really different and nobody knew how to get that sound until the great guys at SD brought out the '78 model
    I could be wrong but I think Eddie's Tone comes more from his fingers and a cranked Marshall than that pickup or the Kramer he was ussing back then. In fact many people finds the SD 59' sactisfactory enought to achieve early EVH tone.

It is hard to me to think in a unique pickup tone since almost everyone has Fender or Gibson type of pickups in their axes. But Rickenakers or Danelectros have a tone on their own for sure!!

Comment

ever played a dana scoop with the three coil jobber? thats a different sounding pup

Comment

What about the boomerange ones that came in some 70's gibsons... have no clue how they sound but they sure look different...
        Last edited by Edgecrusher; 03-01-2005, 10:04 PM.
        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

i have never tried them but lace has the alumitone that they say...

"No need to compare anything here, because there is nothing like it on the market. "

well they look cool/strange at least lol

anyone ever try them?

-Mike
          www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Jonny Copeland has a peavey guitar with the wierdest pickups I've ever seen. It looks like 2 lipstick tubes together in a humbucker. Sounds great though...

edit: didn't realize this but while I was looking for a picture of this guitar I found out Johnny died in 1997. :'( Man he was good.
            Last edited by Cory_Dylan; 03-01-2005, 10:51 PM.

Comment

These pickups are supposed to sound really good. The attention to detail is really cool on the pickup covers or bobbins - they have pickups that have simulated wear and rust on to make them look cool . They're scatterwound by hand apparently.

Bare Knuckle Pickups
              Richard

Free Shred Guitar Lessons
              Marshall Mods

Comment

Ever heard of a Duncan Antiquity?

Comment

there is a three coil pickup in user motorhead's webshots site.

pic
                  Constantly wanting new gear...

Comment

the KA motherbucker- 4 coils, something like 28k resistance

tom

Comment

Originally posted by Imp

tom
                      Haha yeah, I've always wanted to try one of those out
                      My clips

Originally posted by Rid
                      How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

Strangest pickups I've ever played have to be either the Ric horseshoe pickup that was used in lap steels, an old Guyatone pickup I played in a pawnshop archtop, and the Chandler Charlie Christian copy.
                        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Imp

tom
                          Thats too much! If your rockin in your living room you'll have to turn off all your appliances!!

Comment

Working...
                          X