C5b & 59n in LP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C5b & 59n in LP

The 490R & 498T pups in my LP Studio have gone microphonic & squeal like crazy whenever I'm within 10 feet of my amp. I had a bar gig this weekend & it was a chore to get around the problem. Very embarrasing. I guess I could have them potted, but why bother when there's Duncans out there! Plus I've never been able to get controlled feedback with the Gibby pups in there now as they are fried. Duncans = controlled feedback!!!!

So....I just got off the phone with my fav music store & ordered a Sh-1n & SH-14b. I asked for gold covers as my guitar is white with all gold hardware & pup covers.

Do the Duncans I ordered come with gold covers???????? They must right?
    What do you think of my pup choices???????

THX
    Life's a journey, pack a lunch!.

Re: C5b & 59n in LP

sounds good to me!

I'd say you got a "Gearjoneser's choice"
    "music heals"
    facebook

Comment

i love that set in my 540s ... i bet you'll love it even more in your LP ... i know stevo has some clips of that set that sold me on it ... very toneful choice

couldnt tell ya about the covers ... i know mine came uncovered .. it might be a special order for gold covers ... call the shop and ask to be sure
      enjoy
      cheers
      t4d
      gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Awesome combo, you won't regret it! It will cover as much ground as a JB/Jazz set can, but with more balls and vintage vibe.

Comment

Awesome! I can't wait!!!

I was thinking about the JB/Jazz road, but a little voice in my head kept saying: "C5/59...C5/59...C5/59, it will ROCK"!!
          Life's a journey, pack a lunch!.

Comment

What tones were you reaching for? The thing I like about a good sounding LP when yopu find it is.......you don't need to change the pickups. But, if you are like me, it is fun to tweak - plus you were having some trouble.

I ended up removing the C-5 because I couldn't get a fat lead tone although rhythm and clean were nice but a bit hard and spikey in the highs. I tend to like thicker and warmer pickups myself. Maybe I didn't give it enough time.

Comment

Originally posted by papersoul
              What tones were you reaching for? The thing I like about a good sounding LP when yopu find it is.......you don't need to change the pickups. But, if you are like me, it is fun to tweak - plus you were having some trouble.

I ended up removing the C-5 because I couldn't get a fat lead tone although rhythm and clean were nice but a bit hard and spikey in the highs. I tend to like thicker and warmer pickups myself. Maybe I didn't give it enough time.
              If you still have it, give it some more time!
              Granted, it won't sound as fat and smooth as a JB's lead tone but it has it's own cool voice that is both smooth and singing with the right settings/tweaks. I get some very good results when boosing the mids a little.

The great thing about this pickup is that it can be molded in any direction YOU want. It responds very well to amp tweaks.
              I also set the bass side of the pickup slightly higher than the treble side in my guitar. This will tame the treble just enough without muffling it.

Once you get this pickup set right it can do anything! And it's very clear and articulate too. More than the JB IMHO.

Lol, I should get paid for doing this!

Comment

Originally posted by Nightburst
                If you still have it, give it some more time!
                Granted, it won't sound as fat and smooth as a JB's lead tone but it has it's own cool voice that is both smooth and singing with the right settings/tweaks. I get some very good results when boosing the mids a little.

The great thing about this pickup is that it can be molded in any direction YOU want. It responds very well to amp tweaks.
                I also set the bass side of the pickup slightly higher than the treble side in my guitar. This will tame the treble just enough without muffling it.

Once you get this pickup set right it can do anything! And it's very clear and articulate too. More than the JB IMHO.

Lol, I should get paid for doing this!
                Maybe I should give it more time. I ended up finding the Rio BBq had thicker mids that stood out in the mix! I am trying to remember if the C-5 has more mids than the Burstbucker Pros.

Comment

IMO, that combo should be packaged and sold as the 'hot A5 PAF Les Paul set."
                  Also, the gold covers will mellow the highs out, just slightly, which is good.
                  Make sure they got the model number right when they placed the order, so they definitely specified gold covers.....your Paul will look killer with shiny new gold.
                  Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                  I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

One thing that bothers me is why Duncan doesn't wind the pickups specific to each pickups rather than just swapping magnets to make a new pickup. I thought it was essential to incorporate everything, so basically treating each pickup as its own rather than just changing the magnet and calling it something else?

Comment

I have no problems with getting lost in the mix with the C5. Maybe it could use a little more mids but that's where the contol knobs on my amp are for.
                      I think SD actually does wind each Custom pickup a little different to compensate? I think I read that on the forum a while ago.

Comment

I am having the same problem with my C-5. I am thinking of swapping it out for something else thicker. I guess the BBQ is worth a look at.
                        Looking to Purchase:
                        Axe-FX Ultra
                        ART SLA2
                        Mesa Boogie 2X12
                        PRS Tremonti
                        PRS Singlecut, SC245 or SC250
                        Edwards Les Paul Custom
                        Gibson Explorer
                        Fender Stratocaster
                        Fender Telecaster

Comment

Since my favorite 3 humbuckers from Duncan are the C-5, CC, and JB, I just decide what a guitar needs.
                          Tight deep lows and airy highs = C-5
                          Low mid accentuation and tamed highs = CC
                          Upper mid accentuation and thick high notes = JB
                          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

you know guys, i'm still deciding between a C5 or JB in my PRS bridge position. I don't really know whether I like tight deep lows and airy highs (C5) OR upper mid accentuation and thicker high notes (JB)! They both seem like DESIRABLE traits you'd want from a guitar. Which is more versatile? Split tones? I'm into everything except metal.

Comment

One thing that bothers me is why Duncan doesn't wind the pickups specific to each pickups rather than just swapping magnets to make a new pickup. I thought it was essential to incorporate everything, so basically treating each pickup as its own rather than just changing the magnet and calling it something else?
                              I think the only time it happens is with the custom series...

Anyway, you are right!!

Comment

Working...
                              X