banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me choosing pickups: I can't decide!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me choosing pickups: I can't decide!!

I suffer from this "all time pickup changing" desease. Now I am a bit tired of changing pickups all the time and I would like to stick in a combination for a while . The guitar I am talking about it is a home made axe. The specs are all mahogany body, set thru neck, ebony fingerboard, 25.5' scale, wraparound schaller bridge and two humbucker pickups. Due the set thru neck, the mahogany and the wraparound bridge the guitar it is very, very warm. Only the ebony helps the guitar to push up some treble.

The fact it is that I only have two pickup options which are very radical. One it's a set of vintage PAF style alnicoII pickups (DM Paf Classics) which are very warm sounding. The other option it is a pair of StagMags to use them mainly split (strat tone). As you can see thoose are very different option. I can't choose any other because I have no money!!

What would you preffer?

Opinions please!!!!

Well I do have a 59' neck laying around too... You can include it in your suggestions!!

Re: Help me choosing pickups: I can't decide!!

I'd go with the Stag Mag in the neck, set very low into the body and the DM PAF Classic in the bridge. This should give you a bright, clear neck tone with a warmer bridge position tone.

I assume that they are both four conductor, that way you have more tonal options.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Thanks Benji!!

Following your idea I though that could be a good idea to put a Stag Mag in the neck a the 59 neck in the bridge...

Comment

That could sound good together. I had a pair of SM's in my Patriot for awhile. I definitely prefered it in the neck, over the bridge. If you go the Stag Mag route, be sure to use some sort of "splitting" switch. The SM's forte is its split mode. If you use an on-off-on DPDT, you can select either coil, for a subtle, yet noticeable difference.

Comment

Working...
        X