banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have the Five Two set up in their Tele?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have the Five Two set up in their Tele?

Five-Two ( STL52-1, STR52-1 )

this sounds like a great set up from what ive read.

BUT

Do these pickups have bite needed for the heavy stuff ? i'd like to retain the tele twang as well as getting a hard rock sound without the twang.

any other suggestions are appreciated too!

i use duncans exclusively in all my guitars since 82.

Re: Does anyone have the Five Two set up in their Tele?

Originally posted by jonesy
    Five-Two ( STL52-1, STR52-1 )

this sounds like a great set up from what ive read.

BUT

Do these pickups have bite needed for the heavy stuff ? i'd like to retain the tele twang as well as getting a hard rock sound without the twang.

any other suggestions are appreciated too!

i use duncans exclusively in all my guitars since 82.
    I can't really answer the question you ask, so consider this a bump if it doesn't serve your purposes.

I have a bridge 52 strat in the neck of my tele and I love it! The 52 is an underrated pickup IMO. I would imagine that the tele pickups would be awesome although I'm not sure that they will do what you want. They aren't really that hot.

You might want to consider the lil 59 for tele. I don't have one but they seem to be well thought of here. It should give you enough output for the hard stuff.
    Gibson LP Melody Maker -- stock, Epiphone Dot -- Jazz neck and '59 bridge, Fender Telecaster Blackout Deluxe -- stock, 90's MIM Standard Strat with Duncan Texas Hot Custom in the bridge.

Comment

I've gone with the hotrails in the bridge of my tele copy, and it sure has bite, without being to crisp. I've split it, and that gives me a bit more twang than in full bucker mode. I'd probably have gone with a five-two if there'd been stock at the shop. BTW is it available for tele neck, cause then i might have solved the quest for that pup.
      '96 MIM Fender Strat: nck-APS1 + mid-APS1 Alnc II Pro Stg RwRp + brdg-Lil '59
      Korea Squire '97 Strat: The MIM's stock pups
      Epiphone '96 Sheraton: Stock 'buckers
      Samick Tele: Tele HotRails in bridge + stock neck

Comment

I tried a set for a few days in a nice alder/RW American Series Tele. I really like the bridge pickup -- delivered as advertised with twangy punch on the wound strings and smooth fat tone on the plain strings. However, I did not like the neck pickup at all -- very flat and dull sounding. I ended up exchanging them for a set of Antiquity I flatpoles. I like the Ant I bridge pickup a little better (a rounder low end tone, good mids, sweet highs, very dynamic) -- it's a little more raw and dynamic than the 5/2 lead. The Ant I neck pickup just plain stomps the 5/2 neck -- very dynamic and classic Tele rhythm tone.

I would consider trying the 5/2 lead again, but I'd pair it with something more interesting than the 5/2 rhythm.

Comment

thanks for the replies guys.

Comment

Working...
          X