Is there a relation between volume and output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a relation between volume and output

I have a loud (200 watt 2x12") amp as you can see. In my room i can berely play at volume 2 cause is so damn loud.I have a normal strat and im thinking about giving it an upgrade with duncan pickups like hot rails. I know they have more output and I heard people say they are louder. Is there a relation between volume and output or the signal will just be amplified in the amp, so giving me same amount of volume I usually play at? I dont want to use less amp volume you see.....

Re: Is there a relation between volume and output

In this context, they are the same. You could say that volume was more a commercial term, as in the "volume" control, and output a technical term, as in the pups voltage level, but you're really starting to split hairs at that point.

A higher output pup, can definitely cause you to need to turn the amp volume lower, for the same SPL out. (Speaker Pressure Level.)

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
      In this context, they are the same. You could say that volume was more a commercial term, as in the "volume" control, and output a technical term, as in the pups voltage level, but you're really starting to split hairs at that point.

A higher output pup, can definitely cause you to need to turn the amp volume lower, for the same SPL out. (Speaker Pressure Level.)
      The higher output pickup also puts out more millivolts and therefore exibits more overall drive or signal to your amp's preset...The preamp not only sees this as an overall volume increase,but an increase in preamp gain also..

John
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

The higher output pickup also puts out more millivolts and therefore exibits more overall drive or signal to your amp's preamp.The preamp not only sees this as an overall volume increase,but an increase in preamp gain also..

John
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Yup . . . I probably should have said that also.
          Having a higher output pup can have an affect on the overall character of your sound, above and beyond a simple volume increase.

Comment

Yup . . . I probably should have said that also.
            Having a higher output pup can have an affect on the overall character of your sound, above and beyond a simple volume increase.
            Artie.....I got your back brother! Always!

Comment

Its a dirty job . . . but . . .

Comment

Its a dirty job . . . but . . .

Comment

Yow!! 200 watts in the bedroom !!??

When i toggle between my tele stock neck (weakish) and my hotrails, i get a noticable difference in :
                  1 - tone, character and responsiveness (reason 1 for getting it)
                  2 - percieved volume or loudness
                  3 - "fullness" EQ

I think that if you do add a hotrails, you'll find that at amp dial 2, you're going to feel louder. And less gain will be needed to obtain crunch/breakup. The hotrails is hot

For bedroom use, if you're extinguishing candles with your jamming, I salute you, for you are ROCKIN!
                  '96 MIM Fender Strat: nck-APS1 + mid-APS1 Alnc II Pro Stg RwRp + brdg-Lil '59
                  Korea Squire '97 Strat: The MIM's stock pups
                  Epiphone '96 Sheraton: Stock 'buckers
                  Samick Tele: Tele HotRails in bridge + stock neck

Comment

Working...
                  X