cutting through

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cutting through

I have heard that single coil sized humbuckers don't cut through well in a live situation. Is there any truth to this?
    "Your momma's whack, your granny's wack, I keep a handy wipe in my fanny pack" -Ill mitch

Re: cutting through

bumpage
    "Your momma's whack, your granny's wack, I keep a handy wipe in my fanny pack" -Ill mitch

Comment

Not as far as I can tell. There's a lot of professional players using Ducan Single coil-sized 'buckers. For instance, Tom Morello of Audioslave- and formerly rage against the machine- uses hot rails in the bridge of one of his strats. I use a JB jr in the bridge of my strat occasionally into a Randall RH200 half stack and it cuts through the mix pretty well. That's just me, though. Anyone else?
      Squier Strat (JB Jr.)
      Peavey Valve King 1x12
      Ibanez PF15CE Acoustic/Electric

Comment

One of the guitarists in my band has a Jackson with Cool Rails in the neck and middle and a DD in the bridge. Even though it sounds awesome when he's playing by himself, you can't hear him for sh!t when we play live.

Maybe it's not the pickups, but it's definately something...

Eric
        woooooo

Comment

hmm if you play with scooped mids it tends to drown you out, especially if your band is midrange heavy. The single coil humbuckers should cut through just as well as their humbucking counterparts. A guy i play with uses a Jb Jr in the bridge and his tone will always cut through. Amp settings are probably the main culprit in your tone getting lost
          chimaeraSUN
          Ernie Ball MusicMan Y2D (Dimarzio Steve Morse Bridge/Neck)
          Washburn WI200PRO (SD Custom Custom/'59)
          Ovation 1778-T Blue Flames
          1989 Charvel Spectrum (Tone Zone S/Area 61/Air Norton)

Line 6 HD147
          Crybaby 535Q
          Digitech Whammy
          Boss HR-2/LS-2/AC-2

Comment

I've gigged with a Strat with a Lil '59 in the bridge position and it cut through just fine. Sounded great!

The other guitarist even complimented me on my tone one night when I was playing that Strat - the only time he ever did it!
            Last edited by Simon_F; 03-04-2005, 03:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon_F
              The other guitarist even complimented me on my tone one night when I was playing that Strat - the only time he ever did it!
              No compliments for the LP w/ Seth's -> Marshall Silver Junilee !!!!!
              "What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet, sweet music?"

Comment

To cut in a loud band,it's all about mids and highs..
                Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Working...
                X