Vintage windings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage windings

I read and hear that the SSL-1 are vintage wound and the SSL-5's are "overwound" for fatter sound. How many windings does a SSL-1 and SSL-5 have? Are the Winding wires identical? Is the number of winding the only difference between the two? Is the SSL5 bright without being chimie or bell-like with more midi range? But some have said that the low end is beefier in the SSL-1. How is that?

From the descriptions I've seen, it appears that the SSL-5 could be the SD version of the Texas Specials. But when Texas Specials get mentioned then Aniquity Texas Hots become suggested as the SD equivalent. Why isn't the SSL-5 suggested as the TS equivalent yet superior SD replacement? Which of the SSL-5 or the Texas Hots could more likely be called the Austin, Texas pickup?
    Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
    -Conrad Hilton

Re: Vintage windings

well, the SSL-1 is wound to 6K - I don't know how many winds that is. The SSL-5 is around 13K, so it's substantially hotter, and probably uses 43 ga wire as opposed to 42 ga on the SSL-1.

Although I have a Texas Special strat, I don't know what the specs on the pickups are, but they're likely much closer to SSL-1s.

as far as winding info, there's some in the FAQ on the main site, but you'll have to poke around a little to find it.
    "music heals"
    facebook

Comment

I'm with Curly on this one. The TS pups are just slightly overwound whereas the Custom and Hot are very overwound. I remember reading a Fender write up saying that the pups in #1 were actually vintage pups and another SRV guitar had underwound pups. I know my Alnico 2 Pros are supposed to be vintage-esque but a different take. They were 6.2, 6.2, and 6.1 DC resistance-wise. According to Fender the TS are 6.2, 6.5, and 6.5-7.1.

Discover the sound of Fender, the spirit of rock-n-roll since 1946. Shop Fender guitars, basses, amplifiers, audio equipment, accessories, apparel and more.

Luke
      “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Thanks for the responses.
        I am just trying to get a handle on what what vintage and custom wound means. Vintage sound vs modern tones as described in the tone chart. I am going to have go check again. But I thought that the Texas Specials were a custom overwound and not intended to be vintage meaning that it wouldn't be comparable to the SSL-1.

So the key is that a magnet is wound to a specified DC resistance value, right? Are all alnico V magnets created equal? Do the SSL1 and 5 have the same size magnets?

I wish I could just walk into a shop and try them all! The tone wizard has some value. The SSL-1 sound too thin, but alot of guys like 'em and rave about 'em. I don't want to write them off. But at the same time...as i ask more questions prior to calling Lew with my order...its sounding like I would like the SSL-5 or the APS-1. I want chimey brightness, but not too glassy bright. Which sound better with a Tube Screamer gets a added and cranked to optimum fuzz.

I'm pretty sure Lew et al have me talked to the TwangBanger for the Bridge but SGSTRAT also has me talked into the SSL52-B FIVE-TWO CUSTOM BRIDGE. I want to like what other's say they like...and everybody has different preferences. Some like Bud or Coke others like Pepsi or New Castle Brown Ale...I like 'em all. I will likely enjoy whatever I end-up with.

A set of Antiquities is out of the question unless I win the monthly giveaway this month:=)
        Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
        -Conrad Hilton

Comment

I'm sorry, I should've said the SSL-1 is wound to about 6.4K, so it's at the high end of vintage specs.
          "music heals"
          facebook

Comment

jeremy gave a very good summary the other day ... if you have a guitar that tends to be brighter, then the APSs are a good choice. If you're guitar tends to be warmer, then the SSLs are a good choice. Although rules are made to be broken, those are pretty good guidelines.
            "music heals"
            facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
              jeremy gave a very good summary the other day ... if you have a guitar that tends to be brighter, then the APSs are a good choice. If you're guitar tends to be warmer, then the SSLs are a good choice. Although rules are made to be broken, those are pretty good guidelines.
              Now, then starting from an alder strat with Fender Tex Mex's,

The SSL-1's will make it brighter, without question, right? But that's what the tone control is for right? If too bright roll back the tone knob.

Will the APS-1's make it sound brighter, the same or darker?
              SSL-5's? Brighter? good bottom without being muddy? Hotter sound, better with distortion?

I want a little brighter than the Tex Mex gives me.
              -Conrad Hilton

Comment

SSLs are bright and glassy; APSs are warm and fat.

I haven't used Tex Mex or the SSL-5, so I can't make any comparisons. I would want to use the SSL-5 in the bridge with SSL-1s in the other two slots .. I just couldn't tell you what a set of SSL-5's would be like.
                "music heals"
                facebook

Comment

Guitar Toad are you replacing the pups in your JV Strat? If so, what do you want and what do you not like about the Tex-Mex?
                  If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I hate to keep beating this drum, but if you go for the SSL-5 "tapped",
                    you can have your cake and eat it too - at the flip of a switch.
                    Best of both worlds.

Comment

I agree with Artie ... I have a tapped Hot that's going in with my SSL-1s
                      "music heals"
                      facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
                        I agree with Artie ... I have a tapped Hot that's going in with my SSL-1s

is every body doing the Tapped tele lead coil in a Strat?
                        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
                          Guitar Toad are you replacing the pups in your JV Strat? If so, what do you want and what do you not like about the Tex-Mex?
                          Well, theguywhoinventedfire, yes it's the JV. I really love this guitar. I like its sound. But I want to brighten it up a bit...I want more low end if I can add brightness and low end at the same time.

From the tone wizard the SSL-1's just sound too thin. The APS-1's sound great, but they could be a bit brighter. Maybe the APS-2's, the flats, are the answer.

What if I left the Tex-Mex neck and middle and put either a FIVE-TWO CUSTOM BRIDGE or Twangbanger at the bridge?
                          -Conrad Hilton

Comment

I say go 5/2 neck and middle and a ssl5 bridge tapped. You get the bouncy A5 bass and the smooth A2 treble. In the bridge slot you'll have a bright pup with balls.

Luke
                            “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Duke
                              I say go 5/2 neck and middle and a ssl5 bridge tapped. You get the bouncy A5 bass and the smooth A2 treble. In the bridge slot you'll have a bright pup with balls.

Luke
                              That sounds like a great combo. I hadn't quite thought of that one. That may be the ticket. That could produce some great tones, I'm sure!

One of you pickup experts ought to put together a Seymour Duncan Like tone chart for the many non-SD pickups so that all the specs can be examined and compared in one source. Then, a player, knowing that when a pup X is exchanged for a pup Z, then the sonic difference could be readiily predictable.
                              -Conrad Hilton

Comment

Working...
                              X