X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80s Duncan Distortion ID

Hello,

first time posting.

Can anyone confirm this is a legit early 80s Duncan Distortion? I can't see anything else but the DD sticker, should there be more markings?

Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	duncan-distortion-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	5846783
    Click image for larger version

Name:	duncan-distortion-2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	5846784

Re: 80s Duncan Distortion ID

I can't say anything for certain, but it looks kinda odd. Everything looks alright except for the screws on the baseplate are slotted and the sticker doesn't identify the winder. The baseplate does look like the early SD baseplates before they started stamping them and putting holes for the polepieces on both sides.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

This is a very early Duncan Distortion, called DD. A timeline from Duncan junior and Orpheo says the DD came out in 1980, but the DD label without a winder initial and the slotted back screws would indicate rather 'mid to end seventies'.
      Last edited by hamerfan; 01-24-2018, 09:44 AM.
      I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Christopher, a recently acquired 'Custom' even has nickel plated slotted screws. Its mid 70ies, i guess.
        Last edited by hamerfan; 01-24-2018, 09:45 AM.

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I know vintage pickups don't have any extra value over newer used one, but since I can get it for a bit over 50 bucks, I'll go for it.

One more question; can pickups as old as this one have performance issues? Could I run into issues with excessive feedback or something like that?

Kind regards.

Comment

I won't guarantee anything, but you probably won't have any issues if you buy it from a reputable seller. For future purchases, feedback can be an issue on vintage budget pickups, but larger brands tend to be ok.
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by m1989jmp View Post
              One more question; can pickups as old as this one have performance issues? Could I run into issues with excessive feedback or something like that?
              As long you can measure continuity, it should be okay. I even have two older ones with cracks, which perform fine up to now.
              Feedback can be an issue, but not a function of age.
              Last edited by hamerfan; 01-25-2018, 12:30 PM.

Comment

I'll whip out my handy chart (which I ripped from here and stored in my info "vault"):

1. no backlogo, small tag without winder initial from late 70 up to ?
                2. no backlogo, small tag with winder initial from ? to 1983
                3. big backlogo without MiA, small tag with winder initial from at least 1983 to 1988
                4. small backlogo with MiA, small tag with winder initial from 1988 to 2002
                5. small backlogo with MiA, large tag with SN and Model from 2002 to ?
                6. small backlogo with MiA, large tag with date from ? to now

Comment

Thanks LLL for reminding me. I recently bought another vintage SD pickup. So i had to enlongate my list for one more point.

I still look for people to confirm or add something:

1. no backlogo, long tag with full model name: mid 70ies
                  2. no backlogo, small tag without winder initial from late 70 up to ?
                  3. no backlogo, small tag with winder initial from ? to 1983
                  4. big backlogo without MiA, small tag with winder initial from at least 1983 to 1988
                  5. small backlogo with MiA, small tag with winder initial from 1988 to 2002
                  6. small backlogo with MiA, large tag with SN and Model from 2002 to ?
                  7. small backlogo with MiA, large tag with date from ? to ?

When did the silk screen front logo come?
                  Last edited by hamerfan; 01-25-2018, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Also from the "info stash":

If there is an extra letter at the end it reflects who actually wound your pickup:

•A Raul Araiza (Single Coils)
                    •B Leticia Bautista (Single Coils)
                    •C Catalina Padilla (Rails)
                    •D Debbie Nyquist (Humbuckers)
                    •E Edward Madrigal (Humbuckers)
                    •G Gloria Ocompo (Humbuckers)
                    •J Maricella Juarez-83' (Humbuckers, Single Coils, Stacks, Rails)
                    •J Janice Salazar-til 83' (Stacks)
                    •L Lidia Daniel (Humbuckers)
                    •L Leticia Quintero-87'-90' (Stacks, Rails)
                    •M Martha Cameron (Humbuckers, Single Coils)
                    •O Oti Mora (Stacks, Rails)
                    •P Lupe Perez-86' on (Rails)
                    •P Patty Vasquez-till 86' (Stacks, Rails)
                    •R Connie Rocha (Single Coils)
                    •V Joe Velez (Single Coils)
                    •X Mai Xiong (Stacks)

Comment

Those bobbins don't look like Duncans, not even the early ones.

Those slotted baseplate screws don't belong in Duncan p'ups.

I don't think it's a Duncan.

/Peter
                      Peter Pedersen aka Discharged
                      Kolding, Denmark

Comment

I have seen older JBs with slotted screws.

I don't know what would be original, but that in itself is not a red flag.

*EDIT*

From Darth's blog

-Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                        “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

80s Duncan Distortion ID

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
                          Thanks LLL for reminding me. I recently bought another vintage SD pickup. So i had to enlongate my list for one more point.

I still look for people to confirm or add something:

1. no backlogo, long tag with full model name: mid 70ies
                          2. no backlogo, small tag without winder initial from late 70 up to ?
                          3. no backlogo, small tag with winder initial from ? to 1983
                          4. big backlogo without MiA, small tag with winder initial from at least 1983 to 1988
                          5. small backlogo with MiA, small tag with winder initial from 1988 to 2002
                          6. small backlogo with MiA, large tag with SN and Model from 2002 to ?
                          7. small backlogo with MiA, large tag with date from ? to ?

When did the silk screen front logo come?
                          Silkscreen logo was happening by the time winder initials were on the back.

I think we're still missing another point somewhere around 1-3. There were blank baseplate with small tag colored model initials and no winder initial, and there were small logo with MiA and small label black model initials with no winder initial. I don't know if the latter came before the small label black model initials with winder initials, but based on the font, I suspect the small labels with black model initials and no winder came just before the small label with black model number and serial number stickers.

All my vintage NOS Duncan's have philips baseplate screws. I can't speak to whether slotted were used also, but I can't help but wonder if slotted specimens were refurbished at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
                            I have seen older JBs with slotted screws.

I don't know what would be original, but that in itself is not a red flag.

*EDIT*

From Darth's blog

Well, looks like I have to stand corrected, folks.

Seems that being from Denmark has prevented me for seen the earliest Duncan p'ups, when they were kind of a "boutique" p'up maker using off-the-shelf parts.

/Peter
                            Peter Pedersen aka Discharged
                            Kolding, Denmark

Comment

I found one on reverb; it looks identical except it's black/cream.

Very early Seymour Duncan Distortion Humbucker (Bridge).  This was purchased as a replacement for my '77 Les Paul standard stock bridge pickup when SD pickups had just become available around 1980. Very high output, great tone, great condition with plenty of lead available. These early model...

Comment

Working...
                              X