banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Learned something new about treble bleed caps yesterday...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100-400pf is about the range for cap only.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
      100-400pf is about the range for cap only.
      Yep,I figured he probably meant 100pF. My PRSs (at least the ones I've looked inside) use 180pF cap-only.
      And that works wonderfully for humbuckers.

Was astounded by the cleanup when I got my first PRS back in the 80s.
      Several positions sounded almost like an acoustic when rolled back.
      For years I thought the magic was all in the T&B pickups.
      I'd never experienced a treble bleed before.

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
        Re: Learned something new about treble bleed caps yesterday...

If you connect the treble bleed from the first lug of the volume to the unused lug on the tone control, it'll fade the treble bleed out as you turn down the tone.
        When I mentioned doing this, I was talking theory, but now that I look back on this thread, I may have to try this. Part of the problem with treble bleeds is that they don't tend to work too well if you turn down volume and tone at the same time.

Edit: I'll have to revisit this, on second glance it looks like the wiring should be a tad more complicated than this.
        Last edited by Chistopher; 08-04-2021, 05:37 AM.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Franks treble bleed setup helps with controlling the brightness overall via tone pot when using a treble bleed & it's simple and works fine with only a cap. I don't think it works right with no load tone pots but it's simple to try it. Connect one end of the treble bleed cap from the left lug of the volume pot & the other end of the cap to the unused lug of the tone pot. It helps with controlling the artificial treble presence when using big treble bleed caps. It won't work with the resistor in parallel treble bleed variant but will work with kinman one though too.

Comment

Oups, I had posted the message below in answer to another post but I've the feeling now that my contribution doesn't appear as a proper reply... So let's cancel the quote and keep what I was saying, that I think to be still on topic when it comes to treble bleed cap values:

<<I feel free to share again something that I've said in another post:

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/foru...73#post6093973

If time permits, I'll also share later some pics showing that a volume pot @ half resistance can have almost the same response with caps and resistors of totally different values, if these components are in series OR in parallel with each others. >>
            Last edited by freefrog; 08-05-2021, 02:57 AM.
            Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Working...
            X