bridge pups - C-5 vs JB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bridge pups - C-5 vs JB

I have a C-5 in my strat and I'm contemplating replacing it with a JB. What can I expect in the change?

From what I've gathered the JB has more mids and the C-5 has more bottom. Some posts have said that the JB is darker also. Once again I'm hoping for some of the more experience guys to help me out on this one. I'm just looking for some extra info to help me in my decision.

Anyone that has had any personal experience with a JB and a C-5 in the same guitar would be awesome.

Re: bridge pups - C-5 vs JB

Yes I have tried them both in an SG. Allow me to use the reference the SD '59, an all around damned good pickup.

I had high hopes for the C5, but I found it a 1-trick pony - great for guitargod power chords, and chunky leads with loads of overdrive or distortion, but clean it I found it kind of dull..comparing it to a SD59, for example the 59 does not have the low end but miles more clarity, air & vibe.

The JB (in there now) is a darker than the '59, but has more solid mids and good low end and yeah you can do the guitar god stuff - hold a power chord for days & palm mutes are great.... the JB does distortion & processing well. So, if you want to be Satch it is a good choice. Not as much air & vibe as the '59 but it does have some highs, enough gain to grab harmonics, and clean it has a nice smooth, bell like top end. Quite surprising for a heavily wound pickup.

It does have a character, it can be a bit hard some times -- a lot of high mids that the C5 does not have, and with a bright amp it might take some tweaking, whereas the C5 can be kind of muffled. I find the JB an improvement, but that's because being able to play clean is important...if all you do is high gain stuff, you may never notice the difference.
    USACG Superstrat - Duncan JB & Jazz
    USACG Tele, Fender '52 neck & nocaster bridge
    Fender Deluxe Strat Duncan Noiseless Plus (4/4/7)
    PRS Tremonti SE, PafPro & Duncan 59n
    Charvel/frankenstrat, Duncan A2Pros

Comment

anymore comments on this?

Comment

I recently swapped a vintage JB out, and put a C5 in to my Peavey Tele-clone. They're both great pups. It just comes down to what sound you're going for. To me, the JB had a nice, "airy" sound to it, while the C5 brought a bit of country "twang" to the mix. Since it was a Tele, the C5 stayed.

Also, the C5's output matched better with my QP's.

If I was building an HSS Strat . . . I might lean more towards the JB.

Comment

What would you guys say to the bottom end on the pickups.. ive been thinking about this switch also. The JB just has too much bass when doing pm on the low e but everything else i pretty much like.. except the high mid spike.
          Guitars: Jackson Black Flametop SLSMG FullShred(A8)/FullShred w/Tonepros bridge
          Fernandes Revolver Pro 7-String, BKP Painkiller(A8)
          Amp: Laney VH100R and Splawn 2x12 cab
          Effects: John Spina modded SD-1, Morley Bad Horsie Wah, MXR 10-band EQ (OLD version)
          Recording/Practice: Line 6 Guitar Port

Comment

No experience with the C5 but I play everything from classic rock to over the top speed/thrash/deat etc., Metal, and I LOVE the JB.

Comment

In the past 2 weeks, I've been going back and forth in 1 strat between the
              C-5 trem/2 Surfers and the JB trem/2 Surfers. To my ears, the C-5 works best in mid heavy guitars like Gibsons and PRS....mahogany. This is the difference in an alder/rosewood American Series strat.....

C-5 Tighter lows for better palm mutes, very neutral mids with no character in a strat, pleasant natural sounding highs with a bit of twang. This pickup works nicely if you do a lot of right handed fingerpicking in your lead style.

JB A slightly softer feel under the fingers and smooth low end, emphasis on higher mids that can be dialed up or down depending on height adjustment, and highs that are creamier which makes single notes sound rounder and less twangy. This is why the JB is a favorite among many lead guitar players, especially those who favor high gain.

I've also tried others like the great vintagey sounding 59B and also the CC, which is just a bit too dense sounding to go in a pickguard guitar. The highs sound lifeless, unless the CC is in a maple top or ash guitar....or maple necked guitar.

I've decided to leave the JB in my strat for awhile, but may move to a 59 again.
              I'll leave my C-5's for my LP's and McCarties.
              Last edited by Gearjoneser; 03-09-2005, 02:19 PM.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I've heard over and over again in many threads that the '59 is best suited for a strat because it matches well with other SD single coil pups. From what I've read, the JB and the C5 both over power middle and neck single coils.

I am wrestling with the same question for my H/S/S.

I've tried the C5 and JB in my Les Paul and prefer the JB because it sounds much more crunchy and compressed in the high mid range. THe C5 was had a bit to much 'round' bottom end for my liking, althoguh i must say, that it is my 2nd fav bridge pup next to the JB. I've also tried the CC and Aph(b) and meh, nice pickups but I need something high gain at this point in my playing and love the JB.

I am contemplating placing the '59 in my strat bridge position and like the sound of that option!!!
                Guitars: '12 LP Standard, Mid-90s 335, mid-90s LP Studio, mid-90s Am Standard Tele, '05 Larivee D-03 Acoustic
                Amps: Bogner Shiva 1x12 combo, Bogner Goldfinger 45, Bogner OS 2x12 Cabinet
                Pedals: Shur Riot, TS-9, Little Big Muff Pi, CE Audio Boost, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR Carbon Coby, EHX Small Clone, TC Electronics Vortex Flange, Fulltone Clyde Wah, vintage Ernie Ball volume pedal, Big Shot ABY, Boss OC-2 Octave
                Pedalboard: Furman pedalboard SPB-8C

Comment

I played an old Kramer American with 2 ssl1s and a JB bridge. I thought it balanced well and the split sound was fairly convincing as well.

JacksonMIA has a strat clone with a CC bridge, after playing it I feel the complete opposite way of Gearjoneser about it.

I haven't tried a C5 in a strat, I doubt I will b/cI 'm just not a C5 fan.

Luke
                  “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Twang from a C5?!

Wierd, maybe I had a bum C5, the one I tried had zero twang.

May have to try another.
                    USACG Superstrat - Duncan JB & Jazz
                    USACG Tele, Fender '52 neck & nocaster bridge
                    Fender Deluxe Strat Duncan Noiseless Plus (4/4/7)
                    PRS Tremonti SE, PafPro & Duncan 59n
                    Charvel/frankenstrat, Duncan A2Pros

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Duke
                      JacksonMIA has a strat clone with a CC bridge, after playing it I feel the complete opposite way of Gearjoneser about it.
                      Luke
                      I do like the CC, and have it in a LP. In strats, it just depends on how bright the guitar is. CC's work best in bright strats, but since they're fairly dense in mids, they'll make a strat punch through the mix, but they'll also dwarf the singles.

I guess Twang is subjective, since humbuckers aren't really known for twang.
                      You'll get a lot more snappy high end out of a C-5 than you will a JB or CC, though.
                      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                        I do like the CC, and have it in a LP. In strats, it just depends on how bright the guitar is. CC's work best in bright strats, but since they're fairly dense in mids, they'll make a strat punch through the mix, but they'll also dwarf the singles.

I guess Twang is subjective, since humbuckers aren't really known for twang.
                        You'll get a lot more snappy high end out of a C-5 than you will a JB or CC, though.
                        I think I know what you mean about the C-5. It has a lot of highs in my opinion and it's pretty bright IMO. My guitar isn't that bright either. so a JB would be darker sounding and more middy, right? It sounds like I really need a JB.

Comment

Working...
                        X