banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tele Hotrails needs a partner-in-crime, what pup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tele Hotrails needs a partner-in-crime, what pup?

The 'rails are doing wonderful things, and have shed light on just how poor the existing neck stock pup is. So, as you can imagine, I'm GASSing for a suitable SD tele-neck pup. Because the bridge hotrail is taking care of the hot, aggro & cutting end of the business, I was thinking of a mellower, chimey, traditional-tele rhythm sound in neck.

Vintage Rhythm Stack ; Jerry Donahue Model ; Five-Two ?? Others?

Are the latter two avail in neck?

Because Mr Hotrails is high output, do i need to get a hot neck, so that when in switch middle position the rails doesn't outshout it overwhelmingly?

I've split the hotrail too (on a push pull), maybe a 5 way next time?
    '96 MIM Fender Strat: nck-APS1 + mid-APS1 Alnc II Pro Stg RwRp + brdg-Lil '59
    Korea Squire '97 Strat: The MIM's stock pups
    Epiphone '96 Sheraton: Stock 'buckers
    Samick Tele: Tele HotRails in bridge + stock neck

Re: Tele Hotrails needs a partner-in-crime, what pup?

Right, the Jerry Donahue is bridge only so that's out, Five-Two is available in neck but i have no experience of it so i can't help with that one...I'm thinking of getting a Vintage Rhythm Stack and from what i've read they sound great, but i don't think they'd be suited for matching with a Hot Rails...To be honest with you, i'd be inclined to go for a Quarter Pound for Tele but check the soundbytes and decide for yourself

James

Comment

A Quarter Pound "tapped" gives you some nice tonal options, at the flip of a switch.

Comment

Originally posted by Toenail-Tommy
        The 'rails are doing wonderful things, and have shed light on just how poor the existing neck stock pup is...

I've split the hotrail too (on a push pull), maybe a 5 way next time?
        I have the hot rails bridge pickup on one of my teles and the high and low E's drop off a bit compared to the other strings. The bottom rail ends right under the high E string and while the low E string is close to the end of the top rail.

Just wondering if your Tele Hot Rails has the same problem... it seemed to me that it was a problem with the design.

FWIW I added a on-on-on mini-toggle switch so that I could choose between series or parallel humbucker, and split coil.
        Steve Ahola

The Blue Guitar:
        http://www.blueguitar.org/

SoundClick Page:
        http://www.soundclick.com/steveahola

Comment

I had a hot rails in a tele for a while and I matched it with a strat JB Jr and then a strat Hot Stack. Both of those worked pretty well but I liked the Hot Stack a little more.
          The Tele Hot Rails sounds pretty cool in parallel too. It has less output and puts forth a little more twang and treble.
          My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

Working...
          X