New pickups for my Sg Melody Maker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New pickups for my Sg Melody Maker

Hello everyone new guy here. Looks like I've come to the right place! I have a project Gibson Sg Melody Maker I'm putting together. Mahogany, routed for single coils. I'm looking to make it different sounding than my Sg standard and Sg junior. I'm pretty much sold on putting a JB junior in the bridge but I'm looking to get more bite and glassines from the neck position than your usuall sg neck pickup. Any recommendations? I was thinking maybe a Duckbucker. Also should I put 500k pots in like Gibsons usually have in them? I'm pretty much starting from scratch.

Re: New pickups for my Sg Melody Maker

welcome to the forum!!

id start with 500k if you like bite, if its too much high end then you cn go down to 250k later. a duckbucker is a much brighter spankier tone and with a 500k pot it should have plenty of bite.

Comment

I'd do hot rails/ssl-1 'cuz i've always wanted to try that in a Melody Maker.

-X
      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

How about a Lindy Fralin 43ga Steel Pole Strat pickup for the neck? They sound a lot like a P-90; many of the original SG's and MM's had P-90's so it should be a good match...
        Steve Ahola

The Blue Guitar:
        http://www.blueguitar.org/

SoundClick Page:
        http://www.soundclick.com/steveahola

Comment

I remember reading something about how SD himself said the melody maker pickups were great pickups in his humble opinion.

I've never heard one though so...

(I have avatars and sigs turned off. Do you?)

Comment

here you go

Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

(I have avatars and sigs turned off. Do you?)

Comment

Originally posted by BlueGuitar
              How about a Lindy Fralin 43ga Steel Pole Strat pickup for the neck? They sound a lot like a P-90; many of the original SG's and MM's had P-90's so it should be a good match...
              +1, that's what I was going to recommend.

Comment

Welcome to the Forum!
                "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

Working...
                X